Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard doesnt work - no drivers appear to be installed

Hi guys,

Im having problems with a Dell PC Windows XP Pro SP3 whereby it will not recognize a keyboard. If I look in control panel and then keyboard, within hardware its empty.

I am hesitant to reinstall windows but can see any other solution. Im currently remoting into the PC which allows me to use my remote keyboard but locally its a no go. Ive tried removing all the USB drivers from device manager, and with the fact there are no PS2 ports on the computer my hands are tied.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Keyboard doesnt work - no drivers appear to be installed

Do other devices work on the same usb port (mice?)

Remember you have the accessability onscreen keyboard if you are at the machine (although not for logon!)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tried multiple USB keyboard on multiple USB ports?
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes tried different keyboards on different ports and nothing, although I did plug a usb to ps2 converter into the usb port which didnt work. But usb pen drives work and the mouse works when plugged in.

Im convinced its the driver as its not there within the keyboard hardware settings. Is there anyway to re-install the driver?

Comment

How about a repair install of Windows (not the same as a reinstall)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Yeah the only problem with a repair is you still have to re-install applications such as Office etc so I never really see the difference between a repair and a complete fresh install??

Comment

You shouldnt need to reinstall apps on a repair (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...txprepair1.htm)

Have you used the system file checker?

Have you reviewed some of the solutions on
              http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...HOWg0QXcl8WLBw
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Firstly I would like to show my extreme gratitude to Ossain for sticking by me on this one. Funnily those links you shared in your previous post were on my IE tabs as I wasnt to give up on this one.

Im sure in the past Ive had problems after doing a repair with certain applications etc (appreciate the repair only replaces the windows folder but Im sure during the repair you have to create a new user which will obviously throw the previous users settings out).... Anyway

I googled and googled reading up about replacing reg keys etc which didnt work - but I have fixed the problem.

What I did was watch device manager as I plugged and unplugged the keyboard. For some reason windows was treating it as a human interface device and not as a keyboard. I forced it to use a MS keyboard driver and bobs your uncle - the keyboard works. Which is a relief as I didnt want to reload\repair windows.

Thanks again Ossain, as I said I really appreciate the fact you were checking back I'll post you a pint!!

Comment

Virtual greatly appreciated (Greene King IPA by preference)

Well done!
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X