Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a recent computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a recent computer?

Hello,

It looks as if I can't do without Win XP Pro! My wife's Windows 7 looks "locked" in every possible manner, but I like to fiddle with my OS; that's how I found a trick I posted, a long time ago, about displaying Recent File List in Office 2003...

My IBM Thinkpad is getting very old, like me, and I wonder if, when it breaks down, after copying my actual HDD image on a new computer, I'll be able to use the Windows 7 drivers for the LCD panel, HDD, Wi-Fi, etc. I doubt it but an answer from you may reassure me! Who knows...

Thanks a lot for reading me,

JC

Re: Can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a recent computer?

Most recent computers have drivers etc for WinXP but you will almost certainly need to do a fresh install (from XP media) as moving a drive from one computer to another will probably not give you a working OS

Note you will need to search for 32 bit drivers for XP (on the vendors site) as Win7 is quite likely to be 64 bit
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Ossian,

Thank you for such a prompt answer .
      It probably wonít be easy to install Win XP on a brand new computer, but Iíll give it a try anyway and let you know.
      Thanks again,
      JC

Comment

tbh, I doubt if it will be a problem, but if you let us know the make and model we should be able to point you at the key drivers.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Turning off UAC in Windows 7 will "unlock" a lot of it. I agree that Windows 7 can be a bit daunting at first, but you can't learn about it if you don't use it. That, and considering that XP will reach end-of-life pretty soon means it might be time to bite the bullet and upgrade. I know I can't say much, as I'm typing this from an XP machine, but that has more to do with me not wanting to set up all my apps again on a new machine. I'm a sysadmin and I'm comfortable with my machine; if I need something more, I just log into one of our 2008 R2 servers and do it from there.

Comment

Hello Ossian,
            Once again I thank you for your help
            If I love my Win XP, Iím, above all, ďaddictedĒ to that little red TrackPoint button Iíve been using for the past 10 or 11 years ! And I contaminated the rest of the family !
            So I went to the Lenovo site and found a lot of drivers for XP - even for Win 2K - available for the X230 notebook. Thereís also the XP Mode that comes with the Win 7 Pro edition. That could solve a problem as I donít have an XP setup disk, except the one that came with my computer and that probably wonít accept installing on a new machine as it is an OEM version. On top of that, I wouldnít have to bother with drivers.
            Do you think an i5 CPU with 8 GB of memory will be a comfortable configuration to run all these Win 7, virtual machine and XP ?
            Another question about Win 7 or 8: Is their a way to have full access to any directory of the system like Documents and Settings to open Application Data (to, among other things, erase those bl***y Flash Player cookies), Start Menu, Local Settings, etc., Windows, System, System32, in other words, all directories?
            Whatís more, I suppose XP will be embedded in the Windows host...
            Sorry for such a long post... Donít worry, I wonít ask anymore questions!
            Thanks again,
            JC

Comment

Hi Bertmax
              Thanks for the tip. Iíll try it on my wifeís Win 7!
              I neither donít feel like setting all my apps again and, as far as Iím concerned, XP will reach end of life when I stop using it! One day I found a good configuration and never updated it since then. I use Hibernation every day and reboot it only every 1 or 2 weeks (I even kept it running for 5 weeks without a reboot). It took me so long to set it that I donít feel like doing it all over again with a new OS! You know, partitioning, changing Shell Folders paths, disabling useless services, all the registry tricks and I have 2 LANs, 2 simple servers... As long as Ossian wonít tell me itís possible to tweak Win 7 or 8 as easily as XP, Iíll stick with it! JC

Comment

XP (32 bit) won't take advantage of 8Gb RAM -- max about 3.5Gb and the rest will be ignored.

XP Mode (as you pointed out) gives the best of both worlds with a familiar environment running inside Win7

You can open Win7 a lot more than it is, but this decreases security a lot, so all at your own risk. There is plenty of documentation on on how to tweak it.

Also be aware that XP is on the road to an honourable and well deserved retirement (I believe support finally ends in 2013). Win 7 will probably be the OS of choice for this decade, unless Microsoft pull off a miracle with Win8R2
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  XP (32 bit) won't take advantage of 8Gb RAM -- max about 3.5Gb and the rest will be ignored.
                  As stated, I was talking about the host system, the virtual machine AND Win XP ! I'm not that stupid.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  You can open Win7 a lot more than it is, but this decreases security a lot, so all at your own risk. There is plenty of documentation on on how to tweak it.
                  I didn't ask HOW to tweak Win7 but IF it could be tweaked as much as XP and have full access to any folder and sub-folders. Thanks
                  Last edited by gmuk; 30th June 2012, 20:39. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Yes, you can have access to any folder.

Comment

Thanks Wired,

The idea behind my worries and questions is that I canít bare an OS forbidding me to do whatever I want, whether it comes from Microsoft or MAC OS ! I suppose the reason behind locking their OS is to decrease the support calls from the everyday user. But they should let the ďtweakerĒ tweak !

Reading about the numerous file access problems on the forums, and their consequences with servers and other USB devices, really puts me off.

When you plug an external memory stick or HDD, Win 7 (or MAC OS for that matter) writes tons of files (God knows why) and changes the drive letter when I have set a particular one for my use with XP. Unbearable !

I would happily switch to Linux but, unfortunately, I use apps like Visual C++, DVDFab, etc. Therefore, I canít do without Windows but certainly not with 7...

Thanks for reading

Comment

Originally posted by gmuk View Post
                        As stated, I was talking about the host system, the virtual machine AND Win XP ! I'm not that stupid.

I didn't ask HOW to tweak Win7 but IF it could be tweaked as much as XP and have full access to any folder and sub-folders. Thanks
                        I was also talking about the host system. If you install any 32 bit operating system , it will not, by design, allow you to make use of more than 4GB of physical RAM and in reality some of that is reserved for things like graphics memory, so a practical figure is 3.5Gb. The reason for saying this is that you were talking about installing Windows XP as the main operating system on a laptop with 8GB RAM and would therefore not make full use of it.

I was also trying to give you some general answers to your questions and give you some background information. Sorry if it caused offence but I would point out that if you find some documentation on HOW to do something, presumably it answers the question about IF it is possible. Next time I will be more precise and answer in binary terms. For your precise question, the answer is YES.
                        Last edited by Ossian; 1st July 2012, 08:25.
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Hello Ossian,

My post about memory and so on was clumsy because Iím anxious about what will happen if my XP computer breaks down tomorrow. Iíll be really in the... see what I mean and Iíll have to turn to XP mode, which Iím not too pleased about.

I would rather use XP in dual mode, but installing it after Win7 requires a proper 7 setup DVD, which is not supplied with notebooks, to restore the 7 MBR. Not to mention all the problems that can occur in the process !

Another solution would be to get rid of Win7 altogether if I can get hold of a proper XP setup disk. The one supplied with my computer is only a disk image of the original configuration. And, whatís more, it looks as if MS refuses to register an OS, already paid for, when you install it on a new computer after the original one broke down ! What is the answer to all that crap ? Get an illegal version of XP ! Is that what MS wants ?

Itís like trying to square a circle ! Thatís why I am mad at MS but certainly not at you and Iím sorry if I sounded awkward. You tried to help me and Iíll turn to you again if I get confused about what driver(s) to use, as you suggested in one of your answers.

Many thanks,

JC

Comment

IIRC XP doesn't call home, however OEM XP CDs will only work on their brand of computers, and sometimes only certain models. Similarly, OEM XP keys won't work on other OEM XP CDs or on retail CDs, and vice versa.

Having said all that, do you use a program that can only run on XP (and not in XP mode)?

Comment

Hello Wired,

No problem to get hold of a non-OEM XP CD with or without a key! But this is not the point for the moment if I stick with XP mode.

Of course, I didnít try XP mode but, according to MS, it is a fully functional version so it should run any program that I actually use.

My worry is more about the look and feel of the OS. I created 3 partitions, one of them especially dedicated to my data, the Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders and, as time went by, I added to that partition a lot of other system information and data I wanted in the same place to keep an eye on them. MS, Apple, Macromedia, etc. are so nosy !

All those modifications require fiddling with the registry and I wonder if the XP registry can be accessed "normally" or if it's embedded with the Win7 registry. Do you have any info ?

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X