Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Windows Xp serial key

Hi,

I bought a licensed version of Windows Xp and I want to replace the current license key with the new one without reinstalling windows xp. How can I do it??
    I was able to activate my product by following the procedure mentioned in this page http://www.petri.com/change_the_seri...windows_xp.htm but the scripts couldn't change my license key. I tried both the scripts and both of dem gave me an error message - "Generic failure 800x54854" or something similar.

Any sorta help wud be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    Last edited by Dsypher; 11th December 2005, 21:05.
    Be nice to geeks. You might end up working for one!

Re: Changing Windows Xp serial key

Please try to use:

http://www.email-x.net/software/win-...rar-vt310.html

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

You will also have a problem if you have XP Home installed and you are trying to use an XP Pro key. Likewise if you have an OEM version you might find the full retial version uses a different key and then there is VLK/Corporate keys as well. They all require their respective media.

If you install XP over the top of itself you may (depending on what the versions are) be able to keep all the settings presently installed.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        You will also have a problem if you have XP Home installed and you are trying to use an XP Pro key. Likewise if you have an OEM version you might find the full retial version uses a different key and then there is VLK/Corporate keys as well. They all require their respective media.

If you install XP over the top of itself you may (depending on what the versions are) be able to keep all the settings presently installed.
        Is there any way to find out the type of my new and current license key? I got my new license key through the MSDN Academic Alliance Software Center.

Thanx

Comment

Did you get the XP media with this as well?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Did you get the XP media with this as well?
            Yes they gave me the media but I didnt install it coz I thought that jus changing the license key and activating it again wud do the trick !!

I dint know dere were so many types of license keys !!

I guess I will have to reinstall Xp again wid dat media and the given license key. I was trying to avoid it coz installing Xp is very boring and cumbursum (did i spell dat ri8?? ) and moreover I wud loose all my settings n stuff ( I guess )...

Comment

I think you might find you are able to do an install over the top of the present setup so you don't lose your present settings. Go past the Repair option and wait until the install finds a previous version. Read the screen carefully and installl it in the same partition. As I said read it carefully as I can't remember exactly what it says.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,
                http://www.petri.com/change_the_seri...windows_xp.htm
                Last edited by ghemant; 13th December 2005, 07:02.

Comment

I think you might find you are able to do an install over the top of the present setup so you don't lose your present settings. Go past the Repair option and wait until the install finds a previous version. Read the screen carefully and installl it in the same partition. As I said read it carefully as I can't remember exactly what it says.
                  Ai8 mate thanx... i'lll give it a try n get back 2 u.

Comment

Thanks, would appreciate that. Also, I love the signature AND it make sense!!
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X