Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merging partition with os on it. how?

i have a dual boot system.
    on c: i have win2000 (was installed first)
    on d: i have winxp
    between them as seen in the picture i have free space.
    the rest of the partitions are used for storage and does not have an OS on them.
    my d: drive with the xp needs more space (my mistake)
    i want to merge d: and the unpartitioned space to form a larger d:
    without reinstalling the xp.
    i thought of creating an image of d, deleting it and then restoring it on the free space. (using a program like 'acronis true image')
    or using 'partition magic'

is it possible? are there other ways to do that?
    Attached Files

Re: merging partition with os on it. how?

davidz

Use Partition Magic,

this program will allow to resize your partition or add others to and existing one.

HTH
    gaaq

Comment

start, run, cmd, diskpart, list volume

find the one that's connected to drive D which is the one you want to extend

select volume (space) *volumenumber*

extend

that will extend drive D: with the rest of the unpartitioned space. it wont mess up windows either. make sure to do this while booted into xp.
      MCSE 2000\2003, A+
      00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

i looked at the syntax of the command
        and it says the following:

"
        extend

Extends the volume with focus into next contiguous unallocated space. For basic volumes, the unallocated space must be on the same disk as, and must follow (be of higher sector offset than) the partition with focus. A dynamic simple or spanned volume can be extended to any empty space on any dynamic disk Using this command, you can extend an existing volume into newly created space.
        If the partition was previously formatted with the NTFS file system, the file system is automatically extended to occupy the larger partition. No data loss occurs. If the partition was previously formatted with any file system format other than NTFS, the command fails with no change to the partition.

You cannot extend the current system or boot partitions."

in my case as seen in the picture i have attached. the unallocated space is before partition D.

im afraid that if i try to do this with partition magic d i will not be able to load the xp on D partiotion.

Comment

Originally posted by davidz
          ...im afraid that if i try to do this with partition magic d i will not be able to load the xp on D partiotion.

You should be okay. By default the bootsector and / or bootloader on a multi boot system is stored on the C: partition.

Assuming it has a read/writeable format.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just use Partition Magic, i have been able to do what you want to do using that program when i was running a dual boot windows 98 linux system look around computer magazines in your local library you should find a free copy on one of the disks
            oh and if you run into problems with the bootloader try a windows boot disk containing fdisk and use the fdisk /mbr command
            Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Working...
            X