Can't Get Xp Home to Install on New HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Get Xp Home to Install on New HDD

I just put a new HHD in my laptop and Win XP Home won't install. Its an i-Buddy 4 Model A928 P4 1.6GB ,512 MB DDR that I got from HugeBee which I believe is gone now. I have found another place that has this model at :www.sambyte.com
    The laptop had a Fujitsu 20GB 4200rpm HDD that I am upgrading to 60GB. I have not done that many installs and all have been on desktops. I boot from the CD and go throught the format. Then it asks if I want to to set it up and says their is already a copy of Win XP installed and it may cause problems, do I want to go ahead and delete and reinstall or exit. I said reinstall and it goes through the format again and I just end up at the same place and going through the same motions. If I try to boot it from the Drive I get SIS 900 PXE Boot Rom v 1.08 Hook and then it goes into Client .......etc, etc. no proxy DHCP ofers were received and thats it. It shows a 60GB HDD on setup but not in the CMOS. Can anyone help?
    Happy Holidays to everyone, Kris

Re: Can't Get Xp Home to Install on New HDD

Hi,
    is it USB HDD ? is your Laptop BIOS supports new HW ?

please be more specific to get good answer.

Regards

Comment

The HDD is internal not external. By new HW I assume you mean upgrading the HDD from a 20GB to a 60GB? According to the site the motherboard can take up to a 60 GB HD. The bios has not been updated. The HDD is a Fujitsu and when I spoke with them they did not mention the bios or even updating it. Maybe I should look into that next? I have not heard of this problem before but that doesn't mean anything. If you have any ideas it is appreciated.

Comment

Try deleting all the exisitng partitions on the drive first.

You can do this using the disk.

Comment

wait a minute. you say you got a new 60 gb hard drive. by new i assume u mean right out of the box. and when you run the xp cd it says you already have a xp partition do you want to delete it. i'm assuming you only have 1 hard drive in the laptop. how can that be thats weird. when exctually are you getting stuck in the setup? at formating. does it get stick a 0% or does it go a little ways?
          MCSE 2000\2003, A+
          00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Its a brand new Fujitsu 60gb Hard drive. I have deleted the partition and started over then it tells me once again that there is another copy of XP on it do I want to A: delete it and re-install XP or B: exit. Those are my only choices. So, I choose delete it and we start the whole same process over to come back to the same place. It does go through the whole format. Yes, it is weird. I have done maybe 50 installs of Win XP which isn't that much but I can't even find anyone that has seen this. I thought possibily the motherboard really isn't capable of 60GB and maybe 40GB is its limit. Would it act like this if that was the problem? My only experience with ever putting too large of a HD was when the 160GB came out and they just wouldn't work. I am stumped and at a loss of anything to try from this point.

Comment

hmm, if you get to the formatting parts it means the hard drive is at least reconized. even it it didn't reconize the whole thing, which i dont think is your problem it would atleast continue installing windows. is the hard drive set to be the boot device in the bios. when its restarts after you formatted it do you boot from cd again or do you boot from the hard drive. should be booting to the hard drive. sounds to me like your stuick in some type of loop where it keeps botting the cd and starting over. check that and then to be extra sure take out the xp cd after the formatting has started and leave it out until after it has rebotted and see what happens.
              MCSE 2000\2003, A+
              00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Hi,
                have you try with different installation CD ? have u tried with MBR fixing ? or HDD Cleanup utility ? have u tried with deleting all partitions and then setup XP again ?

Regards

Comment

Right lets look at this logocally.

You can boot from the CD - Yes
                  You see the drive correctly - Yes Can you see the full drive?? i.e 60GB
                  You say you can format the drive - Yes

Does the install reach the copying files stage??

If yes are you booting from the drive when starting up after the intitial text stage??

Have you ever seen the GUI based stage??

Is your XP home CD a proper Microsoft version or is it a recovery CD from the manufacturer??

Comment

From Gurgy's first post.
                    It shows a 60GB HDD on setup but not in the CMOS.
                    Have you gone into the BIOS and made sure the drive is recognised there? XP will recognise it and do all the pre-setup things, but when it reboots the laptop doesn't see the drive the install all falls to pieces. Sometimes all you need to do is enter the BIOS, save settings and exit or you may need to set the HDD detection to Auto so the new drive is detected.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                      From Gurgy's first post.

Have you gone into the BIOS and made sure the drive is recognised there? XP will recognise it and do all the pre-setup things, but when it reboots the laptop doesn't see the drive the install all falls to pieces. Sometimes all you need to do is enter the BIOS, save settings and exit or you may need to set the HDD detection to Auto so the new drive is detected.

If the drive isn't recognised by the BIOS there is no way windows will see it.

Comment

What happens when you run the auto hard drive detect in the bios,, if it picks it up there then save the settings and exit the bios problem solved. But hey if there is no hard drive in the bios just having the auto detect hard drive on boot isnt quite enough unless the hard drive has been detected and saved into the bios previously.
                        Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                          If the drive isn't recognised by the BIOS there is no way windows will see it.
                          No, not quite right. The XP setup can detect the drive, you can partition and format it, copy the setup files but when you reboot, nada. It is the XP boot/setup/drive detector/whatever that sees the drive. Try is on a system where the BIOS has the HDD set to None.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,
                            i think now we have to stop for response of the originator of the thread !

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                              No, not quite right. The XP setup can detect the drive, you can partition and format it, copy the setup files but when you reboot, nada. It is the XP boot/setup/drive detector/whatever that sees the drive. Try is on a system where the BIOS has the HDD set to None.

I'll need to try that.

Personally i've never seen it so i can't say your wrong.

Hmm which machine can i destroy to try it

Comment

Working...
                              X