Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get Error 1068 when I attempt start many specific services on Windows XP Pro SP3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get Error 1068 when I attempt start many specific services on Windows XP Pro SP3

I thought something was wrong when I noticed that the language bar took up the entire taskbar. When I disabled it in the list of toolbars, none of my windows showed up so I currently use Task Manager to bring applications to front.

None of my printers showed up under Printers and Faxes, none of my network connections showed up under Network Connections, and I can't see any of my home workgroup computers.

I checked services.msc for Print Spooler: Its startup type was Automatic but it wasn't started and when I attempted to start it, I got a dialog:
    Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    I tried to check the properties of the Print Spooler service and nothing came up so I obviously thought something was wrong elsewhere.

I checked the rest of the services:
    Some services were already started.
    Some third-party services start without any problem.
    Some services start with Error 5: Access is denied.
    Most services start with Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Two services that have startup type 'Manual' were automatically started. The two services are Network Location Awareness and NT LM Security Support Provider.

Also, for some reason, the search function of Windows Explorer isn't working.
    Here is an image of the window:
    i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/cajsq0228/searchprob-.jpg

I honestly am not sure where my install disk is so I'm hoping I can fix the problem without reinstalling windows.

Re: I get Error 1068 when I attempt start many specific services on Windows XP Pro SP

Please attach the image to your post.

Click on the paperclip in the toolbar then Browse to the image on your computer and Upload it to the site. You can then attach it to the post by clicking on the paperclip again and attaching.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: I get Error 1068 when I attempt start many specific services on Windows XP Pro SP

Okay, I attached two images, one of my search window and one of my services.msc window after startup.

I'm sorry that the images are zip files but they were around 3MB each so I had to compress them.

Terminal Services gives me Error 1068 when I try to start it as well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, but I for one will not open an unknown Zip file -- it could contain absolutely anything!

Please open the images in a graphics program and save in a compressed format -- JPG normally works very well
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

The previous 2 images are now uploaded as jpg files.
          Attached Files

Comment

start > run > cmd

run
            SFC /scannow
            then reboot..
            I would also consider a malware scan with mbam or similar
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Does your account have the correct rights to start the services???

Comment

It looks malwarey to me. Notice the firewall service or WMI or the Wired AutoConfig services aren't running. Go with TehCamels advice
                Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Back with updates on the situation!

The problem still persists in safe mode and I've tried running ComboFix downloaded from this location:

bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

but it didn't work. I posted the log in the attachments.

tehcamel:

start > run > cmd

run
                  SFC /scannow
                  then reboot..
                  I would also consider a malware scan with mbam or similar
                  Also, I've tried to install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware but I keep getting this when I attempt to run it:

Run-time error '372':

Failed to load control vbalGrid from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
                  As far as I know, I am using the vbalsgrid6.ocx provided with the application.

wullieb1:

Does your account have the correct rights to start the services???
                  Some services give me

Could not start the (...) service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied.

In addition, does anyone know the dependencies of Terminal Services? I can not access the properties of any services.

Lastly, I'm new to this forum so I'm kind of confused on how to give reputation... I don't even have 5 posts yet so I can't provide links unless I take out the "http ://www ."

Thanks in advance until I learn how to give rep... =.=
                  Attached Files

Comment

IMHO blow it away (recovering data first) and do a fresh install. Far quicker than troubleshooting everything.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X