I've accidently deleted my user name from my Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've accidently deleted my user name from my Laptop

I've accidently deleted my user name from my Laptop. My documents and settings have disappeared. My old user name and password still pop up when I switched back PC on and being asked for user name and pass word, and yet i am unable to locate, or restore the user name. Not all my files have deleted. Some of my files which are on my desktop and my documents are still there, while others disappeared. When I now log on the desk top seems a new one. [email protected] has changed position- It is now above number 2. This is weird. I am using XP. If I go to control panel, there is only one user name- the admin, but i do not know the passord. Assuming I get the password, would I be able to restore the files from the bin? Currently, the bin is empty. Where are the deleted files gone?

I am really out of my depth.

Could you some please help and restore my sanity?
    Last edited by Dumber; 20th March 2012, 19:55. Reason: Removed unnecessary bold fond

Re: I've accidently deleted my user name from my Laptop

Is this a company machine that is on a Domain or a personal one that is not connected to your work network?

You files should not be lost but rather you don't have permission to access them with your present user account.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: I've accidently deleted my user name from my Laptop

ntuser.dat may have become corrupted on your old user profile. check C:\documents and settings\ you will possibly see two folders (should see more than 2) but there should be 2 folders with your username one will be just your username and the other will be your username.domainname ie username.DOMAIN . All your old files will be under the folder that is labelled with just your username.
      Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Working...
      X