Windows XP rebooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP rebooting

I have Windows XP and when I start my computer it keeps rebooting and never goes to the desktop. I tried last know configure, safe book and once I click on either of those it just keeps rebooting. Any suggestions?

Re: Windows XP rebooting

I used to boot into the Windows XP CD and do a chkdsk /r from a command prompt. One of the options to drop to on the CD but cannot remember off the top of my head.

Edit: Recovery Console
    Last edited by Virtual; 10th February 2012, 14:23.

Comment

If you have the original installation media you can try repairing your copy of Windows. Go through the motions of doing a full install - do not follow the first option you see to repair. When Setup examines the hard disks it will find your existing installation and give you the option to Repair it - this is when you should press 'R'.

If you have any data on this computer that you cannot afford to lose I recommend that you install the drive(s) containing the data in a second computer and copy the data off it/them before you attempt to repair the OS.

The problem may be due to a corrupt installation of Windows or it may be due to a defective drive.

If you do not have the original installation media and you can only restore an image from the drive itself (many laptops have this option), then you must get your data off it first. Restoring an image will restore the computer to the same state it was in when you purchased it and you will lose all your data.

So, backup first then attempt to repair/reinstall/re-image.

Let us know how you get on.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

My intent was not to use the desktop anymore. I was going to copy my data and put it on my laptop I cannot afford to lose the data. I thought about removing the HD and putting it another desktop to get my data. I should be able to remove the existing one and connect mine, correct? I only have a laptop but I might be able to find another desktop but not sure. The computer came with XP already installed on the computer but I do have an XP CD. I did pop it in to do the Repair and right now it says CAUTION: This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record. FIZMBR may change your partition tables if you proceed. This could cause all the partitions on the current HD to be in accessible. If you are not having problems acessing your drive, do not continue. Are you sure you want to write a new MBR? I have not answered this because it sounds like I will lose my data, correct?

Comment

If you want to backup your data from the 2.5" HDD then using a device listed in the following link can make the process quite easy. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories (I would suggest to NOT use their power cable if you do get one.) The alternative is of course to open your desktop and connect it to the SATA power and SATA port on the motherboard. Make sure the circuit board on the HDD do not short out onto the metallic parts of the case or any other metal parts.

If you haven't backed up your data then I would suggest doing it BEFORE attempting to repair/reinstall the operating system.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I now have another destop to be able to copy the data off my HD. I believe both these HDs are IDE since the ribbon cables in both computers have a second connection for slave. Before I do this let me make sure I am doing this correct. I already took the HD out of my computer. Can I unplug the HD in the other computer and connect the ribbon cable and the other cable, sorry don't know the name of that one and start the computer and get my data. I see on the ribbon cable that one end is master and one end is slave, but I think there will be some other setting if I do that. Will my idea work?

Comment

If you now have a second desktop then the ribbon that runs from the motherboard to the existing hard drive in the second desktop will hopefully have a spare connector on it.

You will need to connect your defective hard drive to the spare connector. The defective drive will then become a slave drive.

Boot the second desktop as usual. You will probably find that the operating system in the second desktop will automatically attempt a repair of the defective drive. You will find that the second desktop may take much longer to boot - don't interrupt it or force a shut-down or restart. If the damage is severe, the repair process could take an hour or more so be patient and give it plenty of time.

The next part will be getting the data off the drive. Did you save your data in the My Documents folder\sub-folders, or in folders where security was set so that accounts had restricted or no access? If so, we will talk you through resetting the permissions so that you can access your data.

Comment

Are you using laptop or desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by silentAssaxin View Post
                  Are you using laptop or desktop?
                  The problem machine is a desktop.

Comment

Have you tried testing the components???

Comment

Working...
                    X