Workstation service will not start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation service will not start

Had a virus on this system Win XP PS3 after removing it and fixing most of the damage I have one issue left that I can't seem to find a solution to. The workstation service will not start. I have an event in the log of 2250 if I use the command sc query workstation I get

[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

So far I have tried the following

uninstall and reinstall of client for Microsoft networks
    sfc /scannow
    system restore
    Cursing

Still can not start the service.

Re: Workstation service will not start

Hiya,

When all else fails i usually try a repair install...... there isn't much it wont fix.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I tried to do as suggested, but was unable to it as the system blue screens due to lack of HD controller driver every time I run the XP CD. I have the HD controller driver on floppy, but even when I F6 it into the installation I'm still getting a no room on drive blue screen. This also is preventing me from just formatting then reloading.

Comment

WORST CASE (we actually default to this a lot if something looks ugly) is download and burn a UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) run the small linux core that loads and use DBAN (Dericks Boot and Nuke) to wipe the HDD. It WILL wipe the hdd and fix your problems.

Link to UBCD site if you need it: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
        Two things:
        1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
        2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

be careful with ubcd. Not so much DBAN, which is OSS, but there are other applications on that disk that you may require licenses for.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Or just download DBAN directly and burn it to CD

http://www.dban.org/

Comment

Hmmmm, I know it sounds stupid but I had a similar issue a while back (Dell workstation I seem to remember) but I had to boot the XP CD from a USB optical drive, else when I applied the F6 driver it BSOD'd on me..... Don't aky why I think it may have been something to do with SATA Emulation, the internal optical drive was SATA too....

Let me know how you get on....

Dave

Comment

Sometimes machines won't boot if the SATA emulation is set to AHCI so it needs to be set to IDE mode, this happens a lot with Windows XP. We see this a frequently with the newer computers and just set them to IDE mode (or whatever) when they wont ID the HDD. I am not sure why because I never looked into it but it does happen.
                Two things:
                1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
                2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

Working...
                X