HOW TO REMOVE/CHANGE USER PASSWORD IN WinXP Pro SP3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO REMOVE/CHANGE USER PASSWORD IN WinXP Pro SP3

Hello. I've been working with Microsoft's OSes since MS-DOS v3.x and have run into an issue on a machine running XP Pro SP3. Despite changing settings re: user passwords with secpol.msc, I can create a new user with admin privileges but CANNOT assign that user a password. Default user is "DELL" (and original 20-digit product key as reported by multiple utils is NOT correct.) I think a lot of components, etc. are missing. Am restoring now with SFC from valid install CD (NOT the one used on the machine...who knows where it may be). An old and tired machine but runs well. Don't wanna reinstall OS from scratch if possible; just did that when after 2 years Vista Home Prem (x64) did BSOD and I went to Win7 Ultimate (x64) on THIS machine. Ideas? Work-arounds? Even if I create a new user w/o a password, on reboot just auto logs into DELL account...new user is vaporized.
    Last edited by Dumber; 22nd December 2011, 16:55. Reason: font size

Re: HOW TO REMOVE/CHANGE USER PASSWORD IN WinXP Pro SP3

try peter nordahl's chntpw boot disk to reset passwords to blank..

although there could be something else going on altogether.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: HOW TO REMOVE/CHANGE USER PASSWORD IN WinXP Pro SP3

FWIW, a rebuild may save you a lot of future grief....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X