Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When XP boots I can't use IE, Messenger, Norton unless i shutdown and restart.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When XP boots I can't use IE, Messenger, Norton unless i shutdown and restart.

I have a P4 1.5 with 512ram running XP Home.
    It has Norton Internet Security, MSN Messenger running from Startup.

However when I boot, Messenger, Norton and IE won't open. IE window opens and is empty, MSN doesn't respond at all and Norton Icon in taskbar has a red cross through it (disabled).

The only way I have found is to Shutdown - Restart (which takes 30 - 40 mins). then it boots fine everytime.

It then shuts down at normal speed.

Any ideas would be great.

Kev
    Last edited by whosyerdaddy; 26th November 2005, 13:42.

Re: When XP boots I can't use IE, Messenger, Norton unless i shutdown and restart.

Try to boot up your machine into safe mode (turn on your machine and press on the F8 key), then run virus scanner program such as McAfee stinger:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Beside this option, try to restore your operating system by using the system restore tool to last good known time the system works properly.

Comment

Re: When XP boots I can't use IE, Messenger, Norton unless i shutdown and restart.

I have run just about every virus scan that i can find. I have l/l/formatted drive and re-installed everything - same prob.

need a bigger hammer!!!

Comment

Try removing Norton or when you reinstall it all again, don't install Norton.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'd say your problem lies in the Norton. Dump the Norton, it's a BIG resource Hog. And since you only have 512 Meg Ram, there's lies your trouble.
          You can get FREE AVG Antivirus, AVAST Home Free And if your useing winXP 64 bit AVAST will run on 64 bit systems. Or your other only option I see would be to add another stick of Ram that will match what you have installed now.

Also be sure to disable Services that are NOT being used. that will free up some resources there. be sure to clear your events.
          "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree ,, Dump Norton. Use the windows firewall instead if you want to use a firewall. Personally i like kerio personal firewall. i dont think ram is your problem unless its a dodgy stick. could be just that on initial boot the ram isnt filling up right until it reboots. try downloading this and test your memory. on this page http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 click this link
            Download - Memtest86 v3.2 ISO image (zip) burn the iso to cd and boot up with the cdrom set to boot before hard drive. run the tests. if you read the instructions you might find test 9 to be what your looking for
            Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

personally i like zonealarm more as personal firewall. Its also a part of Check Point, who is marktleader in firewalls. Therefore i personally will choose for zonelabs. although so far as i know, it is not central manageble, thus will be complete useless in a central management, but maybe it is possible with interspect. Also a nice firewall is Mcafee desktop firewall which is managble trough ePO, just like the AV.

As Windows Firewall, it's almost complete garbage. It can block inbound traffic, but what with outbound traffic?

With AV it would recommend mcafee virsscan 8.0 enterprise (or for personal use the mcafee virusscan 9.0 home edition), instead of the free AV software. I've seen that the free AV software didn't find any virus, while mcafee does. Also mcafee is very quick with releasing new dat files for the latest virusses.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X