Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File Undelete options? (Split from Forgot Password thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Undelete options? (Split from Forgot Password thread)

Unfortunately I don't have a "go to" undelete app for this situation (he deleted all of his files and he had a lot of projects that he had the only copies of) so I'm researching options now. If I find one that works I'll post it here. My biggest concern is choosing the best one for the job in the first place so that I run the least risk of writing over any files that may be recoverable. ~Johnie

Re: Account keeps locking out after clearing account and blanking p/w

I have used Active Undelete though it was several versions ago and found it easy to use.
    Get Data Back but again several versions ago.
    R-Studio was the most recent version and I found it to be very good. I have version 3.6 but it is now up to v5 something so I expect it to be even better now (but I could be wrong).

Problem with the ones that have trial versions is they have been limited to how many files or the file size that you can recover.

If you want more suggestions about what to use and how to go about it, post back here and I will split this off into a new thread so the topic will get better coverage and you will get more replies.
    Last edited by biggles77; 12th November 2011, 15:45. Reason: Add text
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the offer to split the thread off to address the current issue. I'll check out your suggestions. Since I've never run into the problem of recovering all files (including mail) deleted by a disgruntled employee, and because his files are all important to the company, it would be a big help if I can get feedback from someone who has successfully recovered files in this situation.

After researching possible solutions I ran across Recuva by Piriform. I'm a huge fan of CCleaner by Piriform so I have confidence in them and was wondering if anyone has tried Recuva in a similar situation. (hopefully the guy didn't use CCleaner or similar program to wipe free space after deleting files).

Thanks in advance for any help offered on this issue.

Comment

Splitting this thread to keep it in an appropriate forum

All the ones Chris has named are good, but everyone has their own favourites
        You could add "Ontrack EasyRecovery" to your list

Do you have any data backups?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: File Undelete options? (Split from Forgot Password thread)

Thanks for your help and recommendation. Unfortunately there are no backups for this laptop (other than the ones the former employee may have made for his own personal gain) so anything I can get will need to be retrieved from deleted files on the laptop. I'll post results when I'm done.

Comment

Good Luck!
            Data recovery is always problematic so I hope you make that clear to your bosses

Also there are some lessons you should learn for the future regarding central storage of data, regular backups and IT security in general!

Also note you should be very careful about booting the (ex) employees laptop -- better to remove the drive and mount it on another PC for data recovery
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Also there are some lessons you should learn for the future regarding central storage of data, regular backups and IT security in general!
              Just for clarification - I'm asking for help with this because I've never ran in to this situation... because I always follow best practices on Networks I maintain. Unfortunately, this is a new client so I have to take what I've been given to work with and build from there.

Comment

Working...
              X