Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP User account icons missing. Can't get past Welcome screen.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP User account icons missing. Can't get past Welcome screen.

Running XP home on Gateway. Have had 4 user accounts for 2 years. The account user icons always showed upon boot up but yesterday, only blue screen displays with, "To begin, click your user name" but no icons. My ID was set as an Administrator but unclear how this process came undone yesterday for first time. Selecting Crt+Alt+Det twice brings up the Windows log in dialog box but the 4th user account's name is listed in it and every known password won't work. The 4th user account was never set as an Administrator. I had removed the admin password last week but had had several successful starts since then until yesterday.

If I can't get to the desktop, I don't know what to do at this point.

Would Recovery Console work in a situation like this? I work in IT and asked more advanced techs but they didn't have a clue what to do. I never made a password recovery disk as was unaware of it -- until today when I started searching for a solution.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. I've reviewed several posts but many assumed I could get to a desktop to make changes in user accounts. That won't work in my situation.

Many thanks - this is my first post and this site looks great.

Charlie
    charlie6067

Re: XP User account icons missing. Can't get past Welcome screen.

boot into safe mode with f8 and see if you can get in that way. if you can backup your data which shouldn't be nesaccary but do it anyway. pop the xp cd in and do a Repair install. heres an article how to do it http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

That will probably fix it without u losing anything.
    MCSE 2000\2003, A+
    00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Working...
    X