No announcement yet.

Best way to copy user Profile EXCEPT Outlook??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to copy user Profile EXCEPT Outlook??

I have been trying to figure out why Outlook XP hasn't been working properly. It will send to everyone but maybe 2 or 3 people but for those people the mail doesn't even make it to the mail server. After posting on other forums I was told it was the PROFILE. I logged into the PC with my own user/pass which created my own profile. I then sent email fine. NOW, I have to figure out the best way to keep all of the user's profile EXCEPT Outlook. Do I need to have him build it again from scratch or is there a way to copy the profile and not outlook settings somewhere. I have NO IDEA where the setting is that is causing the problem. I just know that the new profile corrected the problem. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jman; 23rd November 2005, 19:29.

Re: Best way to copy user Profile EXCEPT Outlook??

outlook profiles are usuallly in the

C:\Documents and Settings\jchong\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

its a pst file. usually outlook.pst

now assuming you are not running exchange and have not redirected their profile somewhere else, that is where it most likely is. standard default installation.

as for user profiles, i do this quite often and the best way is to talk to the users and find out what they want to move over.

most of my users only want 3 things: internet favorites, my docs and desktop files

thats easy: in their profile, just copy "favorites" "my documents" "desktop" folder somewhere. Delete their profile, log them in, windows will recreate it and then you dump those 3 folders back in.

however if you want other settings, i suggest using:

i've never used it but from what i read, you can pick which settings you want to transfer. alternatively you could pick not to transfer outlook data.

and just run the wizard again after to transfer back.

Re: Best way to copy user Profile EXCEPT Outlook??

Well, that's the odd thing. I'm going to have to copy his .pst file back. I'm going to run a test with my current user I set up but putting his .pst file into place. I was thinking that the pst handled emails and the folder structure but that was it. I thought the settings were somewhere else. I'll reply back after testing.