USB boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB boot

I have an intention to instal windows on my PC through the USB boot, but when i tried to boot from the USB, I got a "blue screen of death" BSOD. I found that there was some drivers problem. Can anybody help me regarding this. Thanks

Re: USB boot

well, my crystal ball is on blink, so it would help if you told us:
    What make and model of PC?
    What version of Windows you are trying to install?
    How you got the media onto a USB stick?
    More info about the BSOD?

Also what research you have done already and what sort of driver problem you think it may be
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows XP and Windows 2000 quite often do not have, by default, drivers to allow you to install via a USB medium (whether it be a portable hard drive, or a cdrom.)

You would need to create a custom slipstream disk, that has relevant drivers. (You may also be able to use F6 to load custom "mass storage drivers" during the install process, but would then need these on a floppy disk.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The PC on which I want to install Windows XP SP3 is Optiplex GX 280 (DELL). I got the media on the USB stick using USB_multiboot_10. I think what i am missing on my USB stick are the drivers of hard disk and display.

Comment

if you're getting a BSOD during the install, it's almost certainly related to mass storage drivers.

Could you get me the full BSOD code please?

the other option is that the disk is a SATA disk - I've seen this problem on dells with windows XP - it doesn't have relevant sata drivers to install straight from the CD.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            if you're getting a BSOD during the install, it's almost certainly related to mass storage drivers.

Could you get me the full BSOD code please?

the other option is that the disk is a SATA disk - I've seen this problem on dells with windows XP - it doesn't have relevant sata drivers to install straight from the CD.
            Very often in this case you change the SATA mode to legacy/ATA from AHCI to get around that issue. The standard BSOD for that error is 0x000007B Unmountable Boot Volume.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X