Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shutting down while updates are installing, will it continue installing updates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting down while updates are installing, will it continue installing updates?

Hi Everyone.

I am setting up WSUS for our XP enviroment, the only issue we are having atm is how we will roll out the updates, wether we leave computers on, use wake on lan or apply during use.

What i figured was that if updates were installed while the user was using the computer say at 4pm on a thursday, they would most likely finish before 5 and then the user would shut down the computer finishing the update install.

Now if say a large patch was being deployed (sp3.. many computers are still sp2) if the user tried to shutdown the computer would it just say Shutting down, installing updates, or would it kill the update process?

I ask because i understand qued updates are installed upon shutdown but if a update install is in progress i dont know what would happen on XP at least

if this is a no go we will just implement WOL for like 3am and use that however i would prefer a simpler option.

Thanks

Re: Shutting down while updates are installing, will it continue installing updates?

A user may get a prompt when shutting down to 'Shutdown and Install Updates' or they can choose the shutdown option.

If you are rolling them out during the day, monitor system performance.

XP shouldn't be effected by a shut down during the updates. It should happily pick up where it left off. It's more that a user could end up choosing a shut down and install updates option, so could hang during shutdown.

Comment

Re: Shutting down while updates are installing, will it continue installing updates?

had a new update on the test machine so i tried shutting it down, it ends up failing the update and just does it next time its scheduled to be installed as per auto update gp settings

and i have decided i will be setting machines to have updates auto installed and auto reboot every day at 6pm for the next few weeks untill they are all up to date then it will be a scheduled install time of 6pm thursday and over the week from shutdowns the updates will be applied.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
        X