Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long file open after changing network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Long file open after changing network

    Hello,
    I have a strange problem with my WinXP SP3:
    During my work I need to change from time to time 2 types of network connections: the local Ethernet and the outside internet.
    My network card is configured for DHCP so it gets an IP automatically when needed network cable is connected.
    I have several files on my desktop that I'm working with during my work day (and not only on the desktop). So the problem starts immediately after changing the network (switching between the LAN cables) - my files that worked previously very fast , now takes lot's of time to be opened. For example: double click on Excel file takes about 3-4 minutes to be opened. When I opens Excel application and open the file from "inside" (File->open file->...)

    If I wont to make my file to be opened quickly I should perform "ipconfig/release". Immediately after this command all my stacked applications pop-ups and works good, untill I'm connecting to the network or switching the networks one more time.....

    Please assist.

  • #2
    Re: Long file open after changing network

    ok.. are you using Redirected folders by any chance ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Long file open after changing network

      Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      ok.. are you using Redirected folders by any chance ?
      No.. I don't think so.
      I have several "network drives" that maps thyself when I get myself connected to "work network". I don't use them because all my files are on my computer.
      and if I perform LOG OUT and then LOG IN to "outside network" the network drives can't be mapped, so they don't exists.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Long file open after changing network

        could you do me a favour ?

        Try logging on to another computer, and see if your normal things appear on your desktop please
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Long file open after changing network

          Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          could you do me a favour ?

          Try logging on to another computer, and see if your normal things appear on your desktop please
          Done...
          Just performed clear LOGIN on another PC...
          On the desktop I got the "factory" links only - virgin desktop.. No files that I working on... only local links to the system applications.

          It looks like problems with routing tables may be... Because if I'm changing the network - (from outside to inside and viceversa) the problems occurs...

          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Long file open after changing network

            but tyhe routing table should make no differnce if they are local files
            so i'm a bit stummped
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Long file open after changing network

              Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              but tyhe routing table should make no differnce if they are local files
              so i'm a bit stummped
              Yes, me to. And you right - it looks like my local files behaves as network files after changing networks...
              As I wrote previously - if i double click on the file to open it (for example WORD) it takes a lot of time to be opened. If I open WORD app and from inside provide the PATH to the file - it runs ok. And this situation occures with all my files (not only files on my desktop).
              If I trying to upload the file to the browser and gets an upload window (from GMAIL for example), and the last path was DESKTOP - so it takes a lot of time to open the list of files on it, but if the last path was C:\ or My documents, for example, it opens immediately....
              It makes me crasy... I'm close to ask to format the drive and to install new OS... but this is very problemmatic in my company... because of security policies, etc...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Long file open after changing network

                I'm not sure I understand exactly how you are doing this.

                How do you 'change networks'? From your description it looks as though you are simply removing one cable and replacing it with another (or even leaving the adaptor disconnected), is that correct?

                If so, then Windows will not be able use the network until it has read it. If you simply unplug the cable and/or put another one in, the previous IP configuration will still be in effect and applications will try to read the network based on the current information that is held. So, pull a cable out and try to open a file or navigate to a folder, Explorer will try to reconnect to the resources that were previously available. If those resources are no longer available because the cable has been unplugged it will spend a little time searching for them before giving up.

                When you release the adaptor's ip configuration you are clearing the values and the applications are no longer trying to connect to network resources that no longer exist.

                Well, I think that is what is happening

                I think that you need to consider a more efficient way of connecting to the Internet or maybe set up a batch file that releases and renews your address when you manually switch between networks.
                Last edited by Blood; 20th September 2011, 13:14.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Long file open after changing network

                  Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  I'm not sure I understand exactly how you are doing this.
                  How do you 'change networks'? From your description it looks as though you are simply removing one cable and replacing it with another (or even leaving the adaptor disconnected), is that correct?
                  - Yes, exactly this way.

                  Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  If so, then Windows will not be able use the network until it has read it. If you simply unplug the cable and/or put another one in, the previous IP configuration will still be in effect and applications will try to read the network based on the current information that is held. So, pull a cable out and try to open a file or navigate to a folder, Explorer will try to reconnect to the resources that were previously available. If those resources are no longer available because the cable has been unplugged it will spend a little time searching for them before giving up.
                  When the network cables disconnected (no network connection at all) the files operates perfect.

                  Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  I think that you need to consider a more efficient way of connecting to the Internet or maybe set up a batch file that releases and renews your address when you manually switch between networks.
                  Could you please suggest any batch file example for that?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Long file open after changing network

                    How does this work - are both networks using DHCP to assign addresses? If so:

                    @echo off
                    ipconfig /release
                    ipconfig /renew


                    copy this to notepad then save the file as renew.bat or renew.cmd. Double-click it after switching network cables. As you probably know, this will force the adaptor to discard its present address and then send out a notification that it needs a new address. This will ensure that the new address is compatible with the network it is presently connected to. Hopefully, this should speed up the opening and closing of documents on your PC.

                    Let us know how you get on.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Long file open after changing network

                      Originally posted by Blood View Post
                      How does this work - are both networks using DHCP to assign addresses?
                      - Yes, DHCP, indeed.
                      Originally posted by Blood View Post
                      Hopefully, this should speed up the opening and closing of documents on your PC.
                      Unfortunately, it starts to operate perfect only after "release", but after "renew" it stucks one more time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Long file open after changing network

                        OK

                        So, how is this set up?

                        Do you have shares set up for the internal network? If you do then you will get this problem when connecting to the second network because Windows will try to re-establish those shares and won't be able to because they will not exist on the second network. This is probably why you are experiencing the delay.

                        Are the data servers entirely disconnected from the Internet?

                        The thing is if you release the IP configuration you are discarding your IP address etc.

                        Perhaps you could give us a step-by-step explanation of what happens e.g. Connect to LAN1 (internal) everything fine, local files open fine, etc etc
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Long file open after changing network

                          I've just realised I might have got this completely round my neck...

                          You mention Excel files - do these files reference data contained in other files on the network?
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X