Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to remove/delete folder

Hello!

I have a couple of folders on an external hard drive that I am unable to access or delete - "Access is denied". The drive is a attached to my XP machine. The folders are reported as being empty, but when I try to delete them I get a message stating the directory is not empty.

When I try to open the security properties for the folders I receive a message saying I do not have permission to view/edit permissions etc. However, the user fields are empty in all dialogs and I am unable to add/remove users at the security dialog, nor at the auditing dialog because the controls are greyed out.

My account is a member of the local admin group, and I have tried using an elevated command prompt, using the local administrator account credentials to access the folder. Using the same command prompt and xcacls to view the folder permissions gives the same "access is denied" message.

Anyone have any tips for this one, please?

I can live with these folders being present, but I would prefer to get rid of them.

Thanks

[Edit]
    One thing I can do is rename the folders...

[Edit 2]
    And... I can move the folders to a different location on the same drive, but not another drive. Even after they are moved, the same problem exists.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blood; 23rd August 2011, 18:49.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Unable to remove/delete folder

Take ownership of the folders and delete them.

Comment

Thanks. I was unable to do this under the logon I was using. I had to log in as the local administrator before the Owner tab became available.

Serves me right for being lazy.

Comment

Blood, I want you to write out 100 time; DOH!!. Thank you.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I know. I'm so ashamed

Comment

Working...
          X