XP computers randomly work offline after Domain controller reinstallation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP computers randomly work offline after Domain controller reinstallation

Hi guys. Hope you can help.I have recently re-installed our domain controller (MS 2003 server R2) and re-joined all our workstation pc's (XP Pro SP3) I also fixed the user's old profile to accomodate the new account(created when rejoined)by renaming the old profile to the new profile. So the users don't see any difference on their profiles.My domain controller's name is still the same as the previous installation name. My user's account names are also exactly the same (except that none have passwords currently).I use offline file caching and redirect the user's My documents path to a mapped drive that points to my domain controller.Every often a user will call me, saying that his computer popped up the message working offline and directly afterwards it pops up again showing that the mapping is ready for re-connection.In that period, whilst not reconnected, I can ping the server's IP address. Browse it via the IP address and browse it via the FQDN (servername.domain_Name.local) But not the standard domaincontroller name (\\servername).Even the other mappings pointing to the DC which does not make use of offline file caching does the same as the documents mapping. When I map the FQDN name instead, after a while it also pops up saying that its working offline and after that states "ready for connection" and then before reconnecting I can browse the server using the standard domain server name and IP but not the FQDN.

I also have another server which is a member of the domain, and that server's mappings open up fine. The Domain Controller's mappings open but shows a blank white screen. Until I instruct the XP to reconnect and re-synchronize. Then everything is fine. What I have done.
    1.) Gave static IP (using DHCP)
    2.) re-initialized the offline cache using shift + delete
    3.) Deleted all the content in the hidden CSC folder and re-implemented offline caching
    4.) Gave the account exactly the same password as prior to the DC reinstallation, for whatever thats worth
    5.) Uninstalled and reinstalled the "Client for microsoft networks" module under NIC properties.
    6.) Checked the network stability and connections are good and constant

When I installed the DC the second time, I did not setup the Role: WINS (doubt that this is a factor)

Kindly note that other pc's (about 30%) do not have this problem and also new XP PC installations are also fine. I seriously don't want to reinstall 70% of my pc's !
    thanks guys. Much appreciated
    Last edited by henkl; 10th August 2011, 12:20.

Re: XP computers randomly work offline after Domain controller reinstallation

WINS (and proper domain name search suffix) is what will let you resolve a server's netbios name (ie \\server)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Tehcamel

Thanks for the prompt response.
      If I do understand you correct, what you are saying is that my problem is related to WINS not being installed?

What kind of boggels my mind is the fact that I do not get this issue on all the computers on the domain

Looking forward to hearing from you
      Kind regards

Comment

Thank you very much for the feedback, I will have a look at that
        Feel free to add more suggestions to this thread

Comment

Working...
        X