No announcement yet.

Registry Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Problem

This is my first post on this forum, I hope all you experts will be able to help me with this problem.
    I have been struggling to get my new Wireless equipped Laptop to network with my Desktop PC, both are running XP. I have however finally persuaded them both to talk to each other and almost everything is fine. The only thing wrong is, on the desktop, when you share a folder, the little hand icon doesn't show. I looked at the registry and found that the setting, which should be
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Network\SharingHandler] @="ntshrui.dll"
    is not set. eg. @=""
    Not a difficult job to change. But when I try to change the value I get "ERROR EDITING VALUE" box with the following message "Cannot Edit: Error reading the value's contents."
    I have tried deleting the whole key, but it will not allow me to do anything with it.
    Any ideas would be appreciated, I don't have any other issues with the machine, and it boots perfectly. (at the moment)

Re: Registry Problem

Have a look in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings, scroll down to the bottom and see if "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" is ticked.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015