application blocking through windows firewall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• application blocking through windows firewall

I have a problem regarding windows firewall. I want to block certain applications through windows firewall. For example to block "yahoo messenger" I have marked it in the exception tag of windows firewall but in spite of this "yahoo messenger" is still running and is not blocked. plz somebody tell me how to block an application using windows firewall.
    thanks

Re: application blocking through windows firewall

Which version of Windows and which SP please?
    Is this on a domain, or in a workgroup?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My system is on workgroup, not on the domain and i am using windows xp sp 3.

Comment

well.. you've marked it as an exception.

The firewall blocks everything EXCEPT the exceptions.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

in the "general tab" the windows firewall is on and the "don't allow exceptions" is marked, and in the "exceptions tab" the yahoo messenger is marked, but still in spite of all this settings the yahoo messenger is running .

Comment

Did you read the post immediately above?

Can you post a screenshot of the exceptions page?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X