usb keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb keyboard

I am having problems with my usb keyboard. I just upgraded from xp home to xp pro and the keyboard comes on when the computer turns on but the instant the windows xp screen pops up the keyboard loses power. I tried a usb to ps/2 adapter and could not get the computer to find a keyboard. it's probably something simple but I'm not a computer person really so any ideas would be great, thanks

John

Re: usb keyboard

Simplest thing would be to beg, borrow or steal (or even buy) another keyboard and try that.

If PS2, it must be plugged in before you power up the PC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried another usb keyboard and then also tried a ps2 one. Restarted the computer as well many times and still no success.

Comment

usb drivers.... ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

all i did was an update from home to pro. the keyboard worked fine until i downloaded service pack 1 then it stopped working

Comment

Do any other USB devices cause problems (will they Plug'n'Pray properly)?
            Was the alternative USB keyboard the same brand?
            Are there any specific keyboard drivers?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you also tried connecting the keyboard to a different USB slot on your PC - or are you using a usb hub?
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Try restarting in safe mode. Does the keyboard work in safe mode?

In safe mode go into device manager, go to "view" and choose "Show hidden devices" go through all devices and uninstall all of the HID devices, keyboards, mice, USB devices, USB hubs, etc.

There are usually a bunch of "ghost" devices that are stored when they are removed without being uninstalled. I assume windows does this in case the device is re-attached at some point. I have seen these "ghosts" cause problems.

Comment

Working...
                X