Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Domain Membership.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a best practise/easy single bounce way of changing multiple pc's domain membership.

I'm working for a client who has recently bought a couple of other companies and need to bring the pc's into there domain.

I've already planned and part executed the server rollout/AD migration but need some pointers on moving the workstations across. I'm told they're all 2000/XP which should make life a little easier.

I couldn't remember if there was anything in the MS desktopdeployment toolkit for what i'm after, i'll check that out. (Sorry thinking while writing)!!

Any pointers from the pro's??

Cheers

Dean

Re: Changing Domain Membership.

If there is a trust set-up between the old and new domain then you can use the Active Directory Migration Toolkit to migrate computer accounts from the old domain to the new.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sorry I left out a bit of detail on purpose to see what replies I got without adding this little gem into the equation. The pc's aren't getting on the other domain.

All the users have accounts in AD, which i've migrated today, but none of the workstations are. Apparently they've got a 2000 AD domain but none of the computers were ever joined to it, so ADMT is out of the window on this one.

Anything else you can think of to do this remotely or is it a case of having to touch each machine?

Cheers

Dean

Comment

Take a look at this:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/netdom.html

You will need to know an account on each machine with admin rights. I've never used it before but it looks like it might do thie trick.

Or even granting users access to add machines to the domain and then sending out a detailed document on how to do it (It should be easy enough). This is probably the last resort

Michael
        Last edited by m80arm; 8th November 2005, 16:52.
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That looks like it could do the trick, thanks mate!

I was getting to the point of considering putting an SBS box in there and getting them to browse to the connectcomputer link. Why don't MS publish that code hey, would be cool from an admin point of view!

Anyway, thanks again, i'll let you know how I get on ;o)

Cheers

Dean

Comment

No Problem

Glad to help

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X