Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add new SATA & install Win XP while keeping old hard drive intact

Dear Experts,

I have Dell Optiplex PC with one SATA 250GB HDD installed as HDD0 it has two partitions C and D and Windows XP Professional is installed on partition C. Now I want to add another SATA HDD of may be 300GB Capacity and want to install another copy of Win XP Professional.

I need steps how to do this, I have added hard drive to PC now I need to change boot order like CD ROM 1st boot device, HDD0 (Win XP already installed) 2nd boot device, HDD1 new hard disk 3rd boot device?

Then when I boot from CD how to select second new hard disk for windows installation? Please guide me for steps and also what needed to be changed in boot.ini file in HDD0 where windows is already installed so that when PC starts I see two Win XP options.

Waiting for reply.

Regards,
    Wajeeh

Re: Add new SATA & install Win XP while keeping old hard drive intact

Boot to the existing Windows XP and launch setup for a new installation from there. Choose the new drive as the target partition when prompted after reboot. Because you launch from Windows Boot.ini will update automatically.

No need to boot from the CD or change the boot order, you want the current OS to remain the first boot device so that you get the OS prompt from Boot.ini.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Add new SATA & install Win XP while keeping old hard drive intact

Yes, I need the current hard disk and already installed XP to remain the first boot. Thank you for suggestion, will follow same running setup from Windows XP itself and giving the target partition of new HDD.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X