End of Windows XP ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Windows XP ?

Does anyone know if MS has announced when it will cease to support Win XP with its updates. Like others I had 23 updates this morning.

I will have to buy a new PC with Win 7 when it happens, but I will keep this one going offline because I am too mean to buy a new Printer, Scanner etc that it is claimed will not work on Win 7.

Re: End of Windows XP ?

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...pha=Windows+XP

Get an appropriate copy of Windows 7 and install XPMode. I have scanner and web cam that I have to run in XPMode due to no Win7 drivers. Works fine.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, check whether your printer and scanner won't work, rather than just assuming
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have run the MS Win 7 Compatiblity software a few times.

To be honest I am quite happy to continue running a second old PC alongside this one to ensure I do not have to buy umpteen new hardware just to please MS !

Comment

Err, it is not to please MS, Gordon; it is the hardware vendors NOT writing drivers for these older devices. My scanner is an excellent 8 year old Canon device that did everything including being able to sing and dance that cost $700 new and is still an excellent scanner. Canon just won't write drivers for it because THEY want you to buy new hardware.

Microsoft have actually helped users buy creating XPMode and allowing you to keep using the older hardware.

I am desperately hoping Microsoft use this to write totally new code and get rid of the need for Legacy backward compatibility in the operating system. With a new slim O/S having the ability to run Legacy software and hardware on XPMode would mean the O/S would (hopefully) be a speedy beast without the backward compatibility bloatware that it presently has.

I am hoping but unfortunately not confident.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X