Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Fax Service broken

XP Home, no SP2.

XP Fax Service (printer driver) stopped working.

When I select 'print', select the fax printer driver, go through all the 'send fax wizard' screens, fxssvc.exe just sits in my task manager doing nothing. Fax Monitor doesn't open.

It doesn't send the fax, it doesn't pop up any error message.

Fax Console says: "fatal error, retries exceeded." Obviously wrong, since it never retried. It didn't even try the first time.

Event Viewer isn't helpful either. "Event 32079 - An error was encountered while preparing to send the fax. The service will not attempt to resend the fax. Please close other applications before resending. - Device name: Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem."

- I checked my modem. Dialup connections work.
    - Checked the print spooler service. Printing to paper or pdf works.
    - Switched off my firewall.
    - Checked what services are needed for faxing (plug&play, print spooler, rpc, telephony). They're all running.
    - Removed the fax service and reinstalled it.

Still can't send faxes.

When I load a very old image of my system partition, faxing works OK. So now I can choose between finding a way to repair the fax service or reverting to that ancient image and reinstall/reupdate/recostumize everything from there (something I definitely want to avoid).

Any idea how to repair the fax service?
    Last edited by 666; 2nd November 2005, 19:36.
    make xp behave:

Re: XP Fax Service broken

Originally posted by 666
    XP Home, no SP2.

XP Fax Service (printer driver) stopped working.

When I select 'print', select the fax printer driver, go through all the 'send fax wizard' screens, fxssvc.exe just sits in my task manager doing nothing. Fax Monitor doesn't open.

It doesn't send the fax, it doesn't pop up any error message.

Fax Console says: "fatal error, retries exceeded." Obviously wrong, since it never retried. It didn't even try the first time.

Event Viewer isn't helpful either. "Event 32079 - An error was encountered while preparing to send the fax. The service will not attempt to resend the fax. Please close other applications before resending. - Device name: Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem."

- I checked my modem. Dialup connections work.
    - Checked the print spooler service. Printing to paper or pdf works.
    - Switched off my firewall.
    - Checked what services are needed for faxing (plug&play, print spooler, rpc, telephony). They're all running.
    - Removed the fax service and reinstalled it.

Still can't send faxes.

When I load a very old image of my system partition, faxing works OK. So now I can choose between finding a way to repair the fax service or reverting to that ancient image and reinstall/reupdate/recostumize everything from there (something I definitely want to avoid).

Any idea how to repair the fax service?

You could try this it seemed to help this person and " MAYBE" a big maybe help you good luck.
    http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-218856.html

HTH
    gaaq

Comment

It worked. Thanx!!!
      Attached Files
      make xp behave:

Comment

Great
        gaaq

Comment

But now that I caught the attention of a fax expert, maybe you know how to fix this?

Everytime I send a fax, the M$ faxware puts an empty 'my personal coverpages' folder in 'my documents.'

Any idea how to stop this? Simply saving a blank page in an out of the way location like "x:\random\far away\trash\get lost\folders i don't ever want to see" doesn't stop that folder from coming back into 'my docs.'
          make xp behave:

Comment

Originally posted by 666
            But now that I caught the attention of a fax expert, maybe you know how to fix this?

Everytime I send a fax, the M$ faxware puts an empty 'my personal coverpages' folder in 'my documents.'

Any idea how to stop this? Simply saving a blank page in an out of the way location like "x:\random\far away\trash\get lost\folders i don't ever want to see" doesn't stop that folder from coming back into 'my docs.'

i'm no FAXING GURU but I think that if you have a custom cover page it will store them there as a *.cov file by default. i would suggest to use a generic cover page nad you might get away with that if not then your stuck with it. You could use FAXmaker for Exchange if you really need to communicate senstive info to customers.

But I will keep looking around if i find an answer

HTH
            gaaq

Comment

Working...
            X