No announcement yet.

VPN into XP Pro sp2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN into XP Pro sp2

I'm just trying to setup a simple way to vpn into my home network main XPsp2 pc. I got everything installed on my main XP pc but I'm getting a error message via my Event Viewer that has me a bit perplexed. The error is as follows;

A certificate could not be found. Connections that use the L2TP protocol over IPSec require the installation of a machine certificate, also known as a computer certificate. No L2TP call will be accepted.

To me that tells me I have to generate a certificate but I have yet to figure how this is done in XPsp2. I've just upgraded my home pc to XPsp2 from W2Ksp4(scrub'd the whole hd and installed clean) so I'm somewhat new to XP.

What am I missing here?

Re: VPN into XP Pro sp2

Certificates are required for authentication between the new pc & network when using ipsec to vpn in. Try VPN PPTP connecting (required username & password), but keep in mind, you need to dial into the networks PUBLIC IP address, ie: if your network is private only & not registered externally, there is really no point to a vpn connection. Try going through new network connection wizard & follow the PPTP VPN options. Remember there is an option once the dialing completion screen is up in properties or advanced (sorry but going off the top of my head!) that has a box ticked in regards to your gateway ... UN-TICK it before dialing or saving.

Oh BTW: if you goto from your home network it will tell you the IP address to piont your VPN connection to.
    Last edited by GuK; 8th November 2005, 02:42.

As far as i know u need to have a VPN server setup,
      but i don't know if a VPN Server can be set up on a Win XP machine.
      Set up a VPN server on windows 2000 or 2003 server and then use
      PPTP from the win xp client machine to connect.
      PPTP is less secure but easier and u need no certificates for it.