Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Windows file recovery tools?

Hi,

Any 'working' Windows file recovery tools to restore files from local hard drive as well as network shared drive (most imp). I deleted some critical files of mine from a network share folder (NTFS volume on storage server) which I wish to restore back..tried a couple of tools but none helps to restore from remote shared drives.

My PC: Win XP pro SP3

Comments appreciated
    Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    -----------------
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Best Windows file recovery tools?

What tools have you tried?

If these are critical files... surely you must have backups.

How long ago were these files deleted and have you continued using the machine(s) since then? If so, there is a reasonable chance that new data will have overwritten where those files used to reside on disk.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      What tools have you tried?

If these are critical files... surely you must have backups.

How long ago were these files deleted and have you continued using the machine(s) since then? If so, there is a reasonable chance that new data will have overwritten where those files used to reside on disk.
      So far I tried Recuva, Tuneup Utilities Undelete and few more, keeping on checking for working tools. If it was case of local hard rive, the story might be over in 10 minutes!

I deleted the files yesterday 21st Monday. For sure I have a backup of the lost files I belive, on 15th of march. But for satan's sake (sorry ) it didn't get restored successfully even after repeated trials.

This is where I came to check about windows apps if it helps . I really don't buy a chance those files or file location may be overwritten on the share drive, since the incident is most recent and it's about a 300 GB drive to collect new files.

Appreciate your comments!
      Insaf Muhammed
      System Admin
      -----------------
      Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Comment

I wonder why my queries are getting delayed reply!!
        Insaf Muhammed
        System Admin
        -----------------

Comment

You've not received a reply to your thread in a whole 19 hours!? Please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of the forum community for the inconvenience this must cause you.

Please read the forum rules. We do not like threads being bumped; it is rude and will inconvenience you in the long run by discouraging people from answering your post. Everybody here volunteers their time to help people and if they have something to contribute, they will do so when they are able.

If you need an answer urgently, then I suggest you contact Microsoft Support directly, who accept all major credit cards.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Give GetDataBackNTFS a shot.

Direct link to download above, or this is the site if you need fat format too.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Just curious, are you running those restore apps on the local machine or the server hosting the shared drive?

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                You've not received a reply to your thread in a whole 19 hours!? Please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of the forum community for the inconvenience this must cause you.

Please read the forum rules. We do not like threads being bumped; it is rude and will inconvenience you in the long run by discouraging people from answering your post. Everybody here volunteers their time to help people and if they have something to contribute, they will do so when they are able.

If you need an answer urgently, then I suggest you contact Microsoft Support directly, who accept all major credit cards.

Thank you.
                Insaf Muhammed
                System Admin
                -----------------

Comment

those recovery tools you tried would work if you ran them locally on the file server but as that drive is continually accessed the chances of retrieving them are very slim now.
                  Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Working...
                  X