Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to block certain websites on ISA Client in XP

Hello.

Is there a way to block certain websites on my computer while i am Behind ISA Proxy Server?

I am not willing to use a third party software to block those websites.

Re: how to block certain websites on ISA Client in XP

Do you want to block entire domains or just certain sections/pages within a given domain?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Do you want to block entire domains or just certain sections/pages within a given domain?
      As I told you that my cable internet provider is using ISA server in a workgroup environment. Yes i need to block complete websites with subdomains/links

I want to block
      youtube
      facebook

plus many more

Comment

Actually, no you didn't mention that in your first post.

If you're in a workgroup then presumably you don't have a DNS server setup?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So, do YOU have access to log on to the ISA server, or does your cable provider not give you that?

Because if you can log on to your ISA server, then yes, you can just block websites using ISA - in fact that's a pretty commonly used functionality.

If you don't have access, you should be able to ask the cable provider to do it.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Who manages the ISA server -- you or your ISP?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actually, no you didn't mention that in your first post.

If you're in a workgroup then presumably you don't have a DNS server setup?
              What if I am in a domain environment ?

Suppose, I am a domain Client (Server 2003 DC) + ISA 2006 Client. But I am not a Server Adminsitrator.

Now What can i do to remove certain websites only on client side without informing the Network Administrator.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Who manages the ISA server -- you or your ISP?
                I am sorry ISA Server is not in my hand....

Comment

So you want to do this without the permission of your system administrator?

First step, speak to your IT staff and get permission to do this.

Once you have permission, while you can achieve this at the client level, this takes a huge amount of work (manually adding each subdomain to block to the hosts file of each computer) to implement and maintain. Instead, it could be done using DNS which would be a far more elegant solution.

The best way however would be to use ISA to block the sites if you're able to do so.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I can't not access the ISA Server and Don't want to tell anything about blocking the websites to the ISA Administrator.
                    Last edited by Wired; 9th March 2011, 16:20. Reason: Excessive formatting removed (fixed bbcode remnants)

Comment

Hosts file method does not work with on ISA Client.
                      C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

How to do this via DNS ?

So you want to do this without the permission of your system administrator?

First step, speak to your IT staff and get permission to do this.

Once you have permission, while you can achieve this at the client level, this takes a huge amount of work (manually adding each subdomain to block to the hosts file of each computer) to implement and maintain. Instead, it could be done using DNS which would be a far more elegant solution.

The best way however would be to use ISA to block the sites if you're able to do so.

Comment

Via DNS - Google it?

Again, I must recommend that you speak to your IT department and get permission before proceeding.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I am my self in IT department and someone is offering me handsome amount of money to do this

Via DNS - Google it?

Again, I must recommend that you speak to your IT department and get permission before proceeding.

Comment

So tell the ISP to give you access to the ISA server
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do not like the way this thread has progressed from Post #3. It seems obvious that the OP is wanting help in bypassing a setup by the ISA Administrators. As always, we will NOT assist Members to bypass any security measures setup in their workplace unless they have direct Administrative access to the Server and need guidance with a security implementation.

Originally posted by ahmerkhan
                              someone is offering me handsome amount of money
                              This above quote concerns me greatly. Unless the OP can provide a credible reason why further assistance should be provided, I would be very careful in providing further directions to achieve his goal in collecting his "handsome amount of money".

This also goes for members who attempt to get us to provide answers to school projects that they have been given.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X