Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect as different user - error

Hello there,

Trying to map a drive to a shared folder as a different user in XP. I get the error "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password....." Microsoft released a hotfix for SP1 but we have SP3. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Re: Connect as different user - error

Is this affecting more than one machine?

What is the output of net use?

Comment

yep tried it on a few XP machines all with the same error. It works fine if I log in locally its just when I log in with an AD account - net use shows that the drive isnt mapped and the letter isnt in use...

Comment

What OS is offering the share? Is it part of your domain or no?

Comment

SBS 2008 is the server where the share is located and the workstation is part of the domain.

Comment

The server is part of the domain as well?

Comment

It certainly is... I deleted my profile to see if that causes any problems and it didnt. It would still complain about it.

Comment

So let me get this straight, you login to XP client as a domain user, and try to map drive shared on the same domain and get the error correct?

When you are trying to map the drive, do you get a username and password prompt?

If so how are you entering the alternate credentials?

Comment

Thats correct, log into the domain on an XP workstation map all my drives lovely jubly. Then lets say I want to map a drive to a share which I dont have permissions to but an admin account does. SO... I go to "tools" "map network drive" assign "t" as the drive and the share name as the folder. I then connect using different username and put the credentials of the admin account i.e domainname\username and the password.

CHeers

Comment

And if you try the same mapping/credentials using net use on the client?

Comment

It maps the drive but says access denied. I know that the access isnt denied as I mapped it with a domain admin account - progress though

Comment

So net use will map it using alternat credentials, but you can't browse the contents?

Check/double check NTFS and share permissions on the server.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the rights/permissions as I used the exact same account to map the drive when I log into the workstation locally and then try and map the drive - its sucessful.

Comment

Working...
                          X