Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hp Factory Recovery Restore Infected With Trojan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hp Factory Recovery Restore Infected With Trojan?

Hi there,

I have just restored a bog standard HP tower to its factory state. However once I installed an anti virus solution almost immediately I am warned of possible infections to the C:\i386 folder and other areas. Apologies for the lack of detail as I am at work and writing this from memory.

I have installed two anti -virus solutions, separately, and include Avira Free and then Sophos 7 and both went a bit mad. The other strange thing was that even though there was a valid network connection neither of them were able to update.

The main reason for doing a factory restore was the original install had been infected with spyware, adware, malware and a virus or two thrown in and once removed a number of programs were corrupted.

Is it possible the factory restore files could have become infected as they reside in a separate partition, not hidden but locked or is it possible I am getting false positives from both anti-virus solutions?

Any ideas on this situation would be very welcome.

Cheers

Jewen.

Re: Hp Factory Recovery Restore Infected With Trojan?

False positives sound a bit unfeasible for basic Windows install. As you are unable to update either AV software, it is highly possible your recovery system is infected too.

Get a recovery DVD, wipe the HD and do clean reinstall.

-vP

Comment

Re: Hp Factory Recovery Restore Infected With Trojan?

Hi, thanks for the reply. As you say the best course of action was to reformat and ditch the recovery. Must admit its the first time I have seen a factory restore having been infected by a virus as well. It probably was an earlier file based solution rather than a ghost image or as we see now wim based files that are used to reapply the factory image.

Anyway its sorted now but it did have me scrathing my head for a while.

Cheers

Jewen.

Comment

Working...
      X