Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need desperate help with shadow copy - will give donation

Greetings,

I need desperate help with recovering a file that I've overwritten today by mistake, a .txt file on my documents, and no automatic backup was created by pspad (it was off by default)

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and Volume Shadow Copy shows as Started on my Services (Manual). Does that mean it's not running?

I've been reading a while about Shadow Copy, I don't have those recovering tabs active on XP SP2.

Because of that it won't be of any help to manually install the client, correct?
    petri.co.il/download_shadow_copy_client.htm
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809101.aspx

I don't want to install anything without knowing if I'm risking loosing current shadow copy data.

My doubt is, if I install Windows 7 on another disk drive, can I try to recover the file on my main Windows XP drive? Can Windows 7 access shadow copy data on another drive?

If I can get a previous version this file (even with 1, 2 or 3 days) I will send $25 to your chosen person on Kiva.org

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Nuno; 22nd February 2011, 23:30.

Re: Need desperate help with shadow copy - will give donation

There is NO Shadow Copy on XP. What you are looking at is a Service that allows you to access Sever 2003 and above SHARES that have Shadow Copy enabled on the Server HDDs.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ah, I still had the slim hope of trying to access this drive from my network, installing any OS, to try to see if any previous version of the file is hidden, but it seems I don't have any luck with that...
      I thought it was active, versions were being stored, just not visible from XP.

Comment

Look into data recovery software -- you may have a chance of getting it back
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've tried 6 good recovery tools, no luck. Still half a dozen others to go
          Started using a data forensics one, but it would take more than 24 hours to scan.
          Being a .txt file (and the old file was bigger than the new one) perhaps some of the text is still floating around, opening my disk on winhex will take a while, 200 Gbs of info...
          Last edited by Nuno; 23rd February 2011, 14:44.

Comment

Hi,
            Try this tool. Tuneup utilities 2011
            Last edited by v-2nas; 23rd February 2011, 19:07.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thank you, I'll try it right now!
              If it doesn't work tomorrow I'll need to search for strings on all my disk space, using WinHex... don't know if a full day will be sufficient...

Comment

Tuneup Utilities 2011 didn't work, nor any regular recovery program.
                Tomorrow I'll try the last ones, trying to use a string and find any remaining fragment...

Comment

R-Studio is a good recovery tool that I have used on trashed HDDs. You will have to purchase a copy and it isn't really expensive or cheap.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hirens boot disk offers a range of recovery tools... Ive only ever had to recover a file once and managed to get it back. Good luck!

Comment

Usual disclaimer that you should have appropriate licenses for the tools on HBCD
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Where was the file located??? Was it local or on a server somewhere???

Comment

I'm sorry, I've been traveling. I'll reply asap!

Comment

Sorry for the delay... I had to travel because of family issues.

I'm moving between pc's, from a desktop with XP to a laptop with linux, windows 7 and running xp 64 with virtualbox.
                            Because of that I stopped doing complete backups on my desktop machine, big mistake... I didn't remember that this file was on my local "my documents" instead of on my regular backup folders. A lesson I will not forget. And because system restore doesn't touch the "my documents" folder, not even that long shot opportunity works.

I tried many recovering programs, including R-Studio, no results. The file was overwritten, not deleted, so I thought there was no chance of recovering it.
                            I started saving everything on d: drive but even so we all know that windows saves a lot of things in c:, and being my only desktop pc I couldn't recover this drive at another pc... I'm now running winhex at 84% but I think that the data is long gone by now...

Thank you for your suggestions...

Comment

Working...
                            X