Accessing My Documents from a Different Windows Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing My Documents from a Different Windows Installation

I've got a stick of a problem that's gotten to me for the past day or so. I am attempting to access the My Documents folder of a specific user on one installation of windows XP on drive D: through the windows XP installation on drive C:.

Basically, I offered my services to a friend to get his documents from his computer. His windows system is corrupted in such a way that his hard drive will not boot into windows, not even through safe mode (blue screen fun), nor after a chkdsk run in Recovery Console. I can set up his hard drive as a slave on my main computer, and I want to know if through my installation of windows I can remove his password so I can access his My Documents folder (whenever I try to click on his My Documents folder I get an Access Denied).

My objective is to access his documents, copy them onto my hard drive, and wipe his hard drive clean. Can anyone give me a simple way to either remove his password so I can access his folder or be able to 'log in' remotely from my computer into his windows? Or any other way just to get into his documents?

Re: Accessing My Documents from a Different Windows Installation

Hi,
    first of all if your frends HDD (partition where XP installed ) is NTFS then you need to take ownership of the object then you are able to read / copy his documents in to your drive ,
    read help of windows for *Take Ownership permission, folder permissions*

HTH

Regards

Comment

Hi,

is it resolved ! have you tried as i suggested ?!

Regards

Comment

Were the files encrypted?? If they are then i doubt you will have mucg sucess.

Other than that hemantgiri's suggestion should work.

Take Ownership

Comment

Working...
        X