X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help with Domain to Workgroup profile

Hello

Im stuck and need help....

Here is detailed information on what is going on.

2 days ago I was trying to add new user account to my computer, which was on a Domain. I had trouble adding new user to this domain so I decided to switch my computer to a Workgroup.

In doing this my "RickF" profile that I had everything on (Internet history, desktop files and programs etc.) did not carry over.

My computer runs on Windows XP Profesional SP2.

When I search for my previous user name, the results are there.

When I go to my Documents and Settings that "RickF"profile is there as well.

Under My Computer/Properties/Advanced/User Profile/Settings I have

2 Account Unknown Profiles and Workgroup/Admin

They are all local.

What can I do to bring my "RickF" profile back?

Thank You

Re: Please Help with Domain to Workgroup profile

Your old profile should be in C:\Documents & Settings\RickF
    You can copy some of the contents to your new profile and get some settings back but you will probably find that ntuser.dat fails.

Ideally you should have used migwiz to backup the domain profile then restored it to the workgroup profile, but I guess that is too late now.

Did you discuss this with your domain admin? You may be able to rejoin the domain and get access to the original profile that way
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Profiles don't "carry over" when you switch from domain to workgroup, or vice versa.

Call your IT department and they will add your computer back to the domain. Then ask them about the other profile you'd like to add.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for your quick response. I do not have access to the domain because I bought the computer from a guy that used it for business.

Comment

Then create a new local account and copy over the docs and internet history to the new profile. You cannot log onto that profile unless you are on the original domain. Would've kicked you off the domain profile eventually since you'll never be connected to it.

Comment

Leave the PC as part of the workgroup now as that part is fine.
            You wont be able to make the user profile RickF active again but you can create a new account and name it RickF but first i would advise to go into the current folder C:\documents and settings\RickF and rename the folder to RickF.old
            Create the new account from an administrator account
            log on as RickF to have the new account folder created (this will happen automatically once you log on with the new account.
            Then reboot the machine and log back on as the administrator account and with the folder options set to view all files (unhide system and operating system files) copy everything from the RickF.old folder under C:\documents and settings to the new RickF folder and select to replace existing
            Then reboot and log on as RickF

PS, you may have to take ownership of the files by right clicking the files/folders select sharing and security then clicking the advanced button.

Cheers
            Last edited by J0K3R; 19th January 2011, 04:03.
            Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Ammending J0K3R's post slightly...

Once you log back on as Administrator, back up your old profile then:

right-click My Computer>Properties>Advanced and choose User Profiles>Settings.

Select the old profile and copy it to the new one.

No permissions worrys at all.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

It is also possiblte you may have to Take Ownership of the files since they will be in a Profile created under a Domain. Creating a Local Administrator account may not necessarily give you access to the RickF profile.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X