Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Internet Speed Problem

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 in My Laptop.
    When I use torrents I am able to download at full speed.

But When I browse or download from some websites the speed it slow.
    I checked with Mozilla 3.6 and Internet Explorer 7

My Internet Connection Specs:
    1. Wireless(EVDO) Connection - Connecting using USB
    2. Upto 2.4 Mbps
    3. No Fair-Usage Policies

Few notes:

1. Ensured that No Viruses/Spyware in my system - Checked with Updated Kaspersky Internet Security and
    2. No Antivirus/Firewall Software limiting my Speed - Checked by disabling the Kaspersky Software.
    3. No Speed throttling by ISP as I am getting good speed while using Torrents.
    4. Using in my home connection.
    5. Ensured the website is not slow/down.Checked with the same connection with another PC.
    6. Tried using download managers.But no fruit.
    7. No Background network Utilization - updates and of that sort - Checked using TCPView.
    8. My browser is set to make 6 parallel connections/server.Tried Increasing and decreasing.Still no hopes.
    9. Patched the max. half-open connections to 250.
    10. Checked my event logs - nothing Suspicious
    11. Have ample free space in my discs.
    12. Tried De-fragmenting my harddisk and registry. Still no success.

Also to note that as I get full speeds with torrents there is no problem with ISP
    A speed test result from speedtest dot net at various time of the day shows good results only

Could someone help me to solve this problem ?

Re: Strange Internet Speed Problem

Just a note that, due to the illegal nature of the vast majority of their content, we frown upon torrents here, so lets stick to the slow browsing side.

We need more details:
    What do you mean by "slow"?
    Any other PCs sharing the connection?
    I presume this is a workgroup and not a domain?
    Do you get the same issue with another PC?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Don't forget that when using Torrents (I will mention it since we use it within a VPN for very large file transfer) you will be accessing from several seeds at once hence speed may appear very good.

When accessing "normal" Net sites, your speed will only be as fast as the site you are accessing allows.
      Ossain asks What do you mean by "slow"?. Your definition of slow is a relative term. To me slow is less than 1m/sec. To someone with a dialup connection, slow could be 3.5k/sec.

Wireless(EVDO) Connection means absolutly nothing to me as I am not familiar with the ISPs in your country.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Torrents within VPN
        Now that sounds interesting, as an option to DFS replication

Can you post more details as a new topic?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X