Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows XP SP3 will not allow reasignment of USB external hard drives.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows XP SP3 will not allow reasignment of USB external hard drives.

I have a Dell Laptop attached to a docking station, I previously attached a USB external 320 Gig hard drive(to one of the docking stations USB port) with two partitions. Windows assigned the partions E and F drive, which was fine, and I set all my programs to point to these partitions to store data. Issue is I update my data drive (the external USB E, and F) to a larger Drive. Did this by clone the new drive with the image of the old. Problem comes when attaching the new drive to the same port in the docking station, windows device manager/explorer/disk managment all do not see the drive. However, if i plug the new drive into a USB port on the laptop itself it loads as the E, and F drives. DVD, floppy, mice all will work in the docking station USB port, just no HArd drives other then the original drive.

Question: Is there somewhere this is stored by hard drive serial number in windows, I have not been able to locate it in the regestry. there anyway to clear the USB assignments (flush?) the USB assingments?

Any suggestions greatly apreciated.
    Did post this question on the DELL help web site, have recieved no answer yet.
    Thank you in advance
    ken

Re: windows XP SP3 will not allow reasignment of USB external hard drives.

First thing I'd try is deleting the docked hardware profile, that should clear any settings related to the HD in Windows.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Did not work, though it wipe all of the other settings(desktop, icons, ethernet etc) even my wireles profiles(which the docking station has no wireless hardware) which I had to re-enter, the new hard drive was not reconized, the old still installs with the E, and F drives asigned.

Besides the hardware profiles, where else might windows hide this entry? (could not find in regestry.

ken

Comment

Deleting the hardware profile should have no effect on the desktop or icons, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Is the issue the same no matter what user you are logged on as?
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes for either user (which both are me, on on a domain, one stand alone, both with or without Docking station).

And yes did not expect the desktop to go nuts either!

Was thinking the new drive maybe factor but it works every where else, have added a call into the windows help desk. but as yet no feed back.

Along the lines of the above I put a old drive into the USB enclosure of the original E:, F: drive, and plugged it into the docking port, this old drive came up as E: (only one partition) so it is not the drive signature, as opposed to maybe the encloseure??? but others work just will not get the E: or F: drive letters, so still points to a hardware signature save in the windows OS?????

going to play with it over holiday weekend will let you know how it fares

thanks though for all the imput.

Ken

Comment

What's that little app called that clears out USB device info from the registry? Can't think of it at the moment but I have it somewhere in my 2.25TB RAID full of files. Sort of works like a USB reset so when you reconnect a USB HDD (or other device) it is like it is being connected for the first time.

Will have a look if the meds wear off before I fall asleep.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              What's that little app called that clears out USB device info from the registry? Can't think of it at the moment but I have it somewhere in my 2.25TB RAID full of files. Sort of works like a USB reset so when you reconnect a USB HDD (or other device) it is like it is being connected for the first time.

Will have a look if the meds wear off before I fall asleep.
              USBDEVIEW???

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Comment

Guys that tool is awesome, had to remove all the USB, but it did do the trick, Thanks Much for all the excellent help

ken

Comment

No worries. Glad its fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X