Reverting back to old version of parport.sys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverting back to old version of parport.sys

I am currently in the process of upgrading our Windows 2000 machines to XP. We have a machines that connects to a laser that has a certain piece of software that will only work when the dongle is inserted in the parallel port. This works fine on windows 2000 but when I installed the software and inserted the dongle on the new XP machine I get the following error:

"Driver initialization error"
    "Dongle not found"

I have noticed that the version of the parport.sys on the windows 2000 machine is older than the XP (Obviously) and I think this is what is causing the problem.

Basically what I need to do us 'Downgrade' the version of parport.sys on the XP machine to the same version on the windows 2000 machine.

I have tried simply copying the older version of the parport.sys file to the \drivers folder but Windows quickly overwrites it with the newer one straight away. I have also tried booting up in recover console and copying the files across but windows overwrites the older version again as soon as windows boots up.

I dont have the i386 folder on the XP machine so it must be getting the XP version of the parport.sys file from somewhere?

Anyone know how I can solve this problem??

Thanks very much

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Reverting back to old version of parport.sys

Why you dont download a update driver from the vendor site ?
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

The software is from an Itlian company and I have tried sending then 3 mails asking for support but recieve nothing back. I have even tried to contact them but the number is disconnected. the software is pretty unique as it's used to draw specific CAD drawing for a laser cutting machine
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You can try to disable the windows scan file checker so after you replace the driver the windows wouldn't over write it.
        Its doesn't recommended to do it.. But it may help.

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=510

Yuval
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for that.

I will give it a try and let you know

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Also, make sure you delete (or put in a safe place) the old file from the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder (if it's there in the first place).
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I have tried the following and it worked i.e. XP is now using the parport.sys from the windows 2000 machine but the problem still exists with the software. Only thing I have noticed is that windows 2000 has two drivers for the parallel port:

parallel.sys
              parport.sys

and XP only uses the one (Even when using the driver from windows 2000):

parport.sys

Maybe this is causing the problem as the software is expoecting to use the parallel.sys driver and obviously it's not there.

Thanks for the help

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Sorted the problem.

Had nothing to do with parallel port driver. Apparently for the parallel port dongle to work you need to install a sentinel driver. I've never heard of this before but we installed the driver and everything works fine.

Thanks for all the idea's

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X