Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Raid on windows XP - Convert to Dynamic Disk

Hi All,

I am trying to configure a Software Raid on windows XP Pro SP3.
    I have 2 identical 320 Gb WD drives (1 is the existing OS).

I would like to mirror the two drives to have the minimum backup for my system.
    Now as I see on the web from windows XP this option is available ONLY for DYNAMIC disk drives (not BASIC). So this looks simple.. just right click and choose "Convert to Dynamic Disk". But NO, I do not have the "Convert" option I only have "Properties" which is not helpful.

So my question is how come I do not have the "Convert to Dynamic Disk" option (windows XP)??
    I am going nuts I haven't found any info on that on the web.. Please HELP!

I would also be very happy with a 3rd party solution is exist.

Thanks you guys
    Hope someone is familiar with that

Avi

Re: Software Raid on windows XP - Convert to Dynamic Disk

Avi, are there any partitions on the disk, or is it brand new ?
    if yes, get rid of all the partition tables etc and just have a blank disk

if no, then try creating one and then upping it to dynamic
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Check the requirements:
      http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Particularly not on laptops!

Look at e.g. partition magic to do it for you
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi tehcamel,

Thanks for your reply..

1 of the disks is brand new and have no partitions in it.
        The second does have the manufacture partition, I can get rid of that latter.
        I have created many different types of partitions but no luck.

I do suspect it is an OS issue rather then a Disk issue since on the right click menu I got nothing regarding the Convert. Usually when the Disk is not supported it will be displayed as Grayed-Out (but still exist in the menu).

Thanks!
        Avi

Comment

Hi Ossian,

I have seen this page yesterday and my disks are OK.

To be honest I don't think it is a disk issue, in my last reply i said:
          "
          I do suspect it is an OS issue rather then a Disk issue since on the right click menu I got nothing regarding the Convert. Usually when the Disk is not supported it will be displayed as Grayed-Out (but still exist in the menu).
          "

Thanks!

Comment

Try a 3rd party tool?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I decided to check if a policy was made.. will update soon.

if anyone is familiar with a good and free 3rd party solution i would be very happy.

Thanks!

Comment

Try microsoft diskpart (command line tool)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

thanx Ossian for a nice idea.. but I did get an error there saying something like:
                  "the command you selected is not available with this version of windows"

I thought there should be many 3rd party application but I didn't find any.. does anyone knows about one?

Comment

Can you post the exact error message you get with Diskpart?

I've used partition magic and Acronis Disk Director successfully in the past, but not free products
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

well actually that is the exact message I get when I choose "Add" in the "Diskpart":

"the command you selected is not available with this version of windows"

Since this should be handled well by windows I would rather not to pay for something that may not work from the same reason it doesn't work now..

Thanks!

Comment

Interesting read here:
                        http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=131617

Has the PC always been XP pro, or has it been upgraded from something else?

DAMN -- just had a senior moment -- if you DO convert, mirroring is NOT available on a desktop OS, only on Servers -- you can stripe or extend, but not mirror!
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Ossian, thanks for the link.. that is interesting.
                          what is more interestring is the fact that you mention MIRROR is not supported in XP Pro??
                          I'll check this out more deeply.. Thanks!!

Comment

Mirroring (or any form of redundancy) is a SERVER feature -- workstations do not have it (to prevent people using XP Pro as a branch office server!)

Addendum -- there are various ways of overcoming this, but require replacing XP files with others (probably from Server 2003) and will certainly break your license agreement
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Hi,

To convert a volume from basic to dynamic you should have few MB (10) free unalocated space at the end of the disk.

Do you have it ? If not resize the partition to free up at least 10 MB.

Comment

Working...
                              X