Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant join the domain

Hi All,
    So i have a VPN to my main office. One pc has joint the domain fine and is happy and working away! the second PC just wont join the domain! It can ping by name and by IP back to the main site. I connect it to the domain and it prompts for the username and password but fails. I know the details im putting in are correct and have the right access levels. i have added the PC to another workgroup then tried, I have renamed the PC and tried. I flushed the dns and re registered and now im out of ideas? Help???

Sorry the error is "network path not found"
    Last edited by MartinaGreenhill; 28th October 2010, 16:50.

Re: Cant join the domain

Can you ping the domain controller by both NetBIOS name and FQDN (server.domain.com)?
    Try putting in the FQDN for the domain (domain.com rather than DOMAIN) when joining
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

right so the domains called cheese. If i try and join it as cheese it doesnt find the domain. If i put cheese.local it prompts for the username and password and fails with the previous error!

Comment

Can you ping dc1 and dc1.cheese.local (where dc1 is the domain controller (preferably the fsmo holder) in the main office) and get a result for both of them?

Tell us a bit more about your VPNs -- router to router, or client to server or something else?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

check your firewall profiles on the remote computer.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hey,
            Firewall is on. The VPN is router to router. We know the configs good as well have 700+ sites on the same set up and this site does work for 1 of the 2 PC's. It can ping out to all the relevant addresses also.

Comment

Turn off the PC firewall?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

the PC may well be in a "public" network mode for that network, rather than work or home - which means it's restricted.

turn the firewall off completely while you join the domain.
                then you can put it back on if you want
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X