date and time update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• date and time update

The cmos battery died in my system. When I went to replace it; I was surprised to find that the whole battery holder had come off the mb. Rather then ripping the board out and resoldering it; I'd rather run a script or utilty that will take care of keeping the clock in order. At the moment; when the system is turned off; The system starts with a 2003 date and will not auto sync the time with the internet server because the date is to far off. I've found lots of utils to update time. Just not the date. I need both! ANy idea's how to autolmatically achieve this?

Re: date and time update

Set your machine up to sync with a time server.

Also if you leave your machine plugged into the wall with the outlet on it should keep the time. Its only of the power is removed that the battery is used.

Comment

If it just becuse the date is so far out, create a dos script to run on start up to move it closer to the correct date, then the automatic should take over.
      Code:

date 22-10-10
      Or
      Code:
      date 10-22-10
      for those silly countrys (come on, whats with the months before the day?)

Sure, you would need to update the script, but I can not see a way to get around it.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

It doesnt matter if computer is plugged to elctrical line, if that battery is gone it will not keep the date

Comment

Yep... Adyamg is right!

CMOS Battery keeps bios time, you cannot set BIOS time through script.
          MCITP: EA

Comment

But where does Windows ultimately get its time from??????

And yes i do know the answer.......

Comment

I get mine from the US militry (Navy).

I would say at this point, its much easier to actuly replease the battery.

Just solder 2 wires on, and then attach them to a battery houseing. Low risk of damageing your board, as your only doing 2 normal wires.

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

time date no bios battery

My motherboard battery holder has fallen off the motherboard. In today's world; I figured I'd be able to find some way of making sure the pc gets a correct date and time from the web. No dice so far. Plenty of time sync clients out there; but no date. Anyone seen any handy utils that I could make use of. Is there a way for me to get the time date from command line from a server on the net. I need this to be automated.

Comment

Re: time date no bios battery

Configure the OS to use an authoritative time source:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054

Comment

Re: time date no bios battery

Why raise another thread for the same question as you previously posted???

Comment

In the bad old days, we used to get an AA battery holder and solder it to the motherboard (in the appropriate place of course) and let the prehistoric alkaline batteries keep the correct BIOS settings. Once the PC is running then you can set the O/S to sync with an external Time Server or even an Internal one if you have one.

net time \\computername /set /y

computername can even be a workstation that has a working accurate time.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X