No announcement yet.

DHCP Server on WIN XP Pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Server on WIN XP Pro

I would like to use my winxp pro as a DHCP server that will distribute IP addresses to other computer on my network, but couldn't find how to install it.
    Can someone help on that?

Thanks and Regards,

Re: DHCP Server on WIN XP Pro

Unlike Windows 2000 or 2003, XP does not have the ability to run the Microsoft DHCP service. This is because it is a client operating systems.

To use your XP machine as a DHCP server you will need a third party product to do this. Hust do a search on google for something like 'Windows XP DHCP Freeware' or browse to ''

Hope This Helps

Well not entirely true because if you enable the ICS (internet connection service) that starts a very simple DHCP server. Not as good as Windows 2000/2003 DHCP server.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

That is true. ICS is very limited. I used to use it myself before I started connecting into our corporate lan from home. Got nothing but problems with it. Finally switched to a PIX 501 for tunnelling plus it acted as a DHCP server

As has been mentioned there is no real option to use XP as a DHCP server without using third party software.

You may want to look at this, i haven't used it or tested it but it seems to do what you want it to do.

You may also want to look at this