Default Printer in Windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Printer in Windows XP

Ok so a simple question that is probably not so simple. What mechanism does Windows XP use when it is determining which printer (assuming there are multiple printers) to assign as default to a newly created profile. Is it alphabetical, or numerical somehow or is it just randomness as determined by the phase shift alignment of the moon/dart board toss/India's standings in Cricket, etc?

Thanks in advance!
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Re: Default Printer in Windows XP

Moved to XP forum as not office related
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry.
      Two things:
      1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
      2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

No worries -- you'll get a better response here
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is this in a domain, or a single machine?

Can we get what your trying to achive, as you can set the Default printer Via GPO, Via Log on batch file (there is a command line to set the printer as default), there is a ini file somewhere that holds this infomation at the user level (non domain machine) or the reg for the computer level.

Sorry, but this question is abit like how can I messure a piece of string.... about as meny ways as it is long.

Wofen

PS: I might be wronge with this, but I do believe the Milky way is devided into 4 Quadrants, so your location should have that before the Milky way... and earth is not really In any of them... as it forms the point you devide from :P
          Last edited by Wofen; 15th October 2010, 08:00.
          Good to be back....

Comment

Ok so full domain about 2000 computers. The problem as many of you know is that we set a default printer based on which printer is literally closest, in most cases per room (we are a school district so there are LOTS of rooms). Setting by script or GPO would be a complete nightmare that I am not in the least bit willing to dip my little toe into. So the situation goes something like this normally. Install Windows XP and Office XP on a machine, install the machine in a room that may have 4 or 40 computers. Set up two actual printers on the machine, one being the laser in the room, the other being a shared laser on the floor or something of the sort. So now we have 5 printers on the machine. Two lasers and 3 other "printers" created by Office XP for numerous tasks. So you set the default printer as the local administrator to the laser in the room, and log out. Then the fun begins. Student A logs in and gets a seemingly random printer as assigned by the M$ gods. So now we have 5 different users with 5 different default printers and the confusion that this creates. Thus if I find out the the mechanism is alphabetical (which it isn't) then when we set up the machines in the first place we can name the printer AAAAAAAAAPrinter and it will always be default when a new user logs in and a ton of our problems go away.

Does this clarify? If not ask more and I will tell more!

Thanks!
            Two things:

Comment

All you should HAVE to have them do is set it to default on their profile. PITA I know, but blame M$.
              "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

In a corporate (or near corporate) environment that would be an acceptable answer, however in our situation... no.

Given and this is a single lab, of which we have MANY:

30 computers
                6 classes with 30 kids per class
                1 in 5 odds of getting the correct printer
                PER DAY
                At the end of the day all the computers are automatically shut down. DeepFreeze kicks in and all changes are erased and the computer is reset to a brand new spiffy (and quick) load. Sans all the profiles. So at the beginning of the day you get to start over. Now you could say "Ok but that is really only 150 changes, you could unfreeze the lab and make those changes for the students and then refreeze right?" No. In general none of the teachers use assigned seating so you would have to make each change, for each student, on each computer on each lab. We do not have the staffing for that at all, and I am pretty sure that nobody who looks at these forums does either, (if you do, drop me a line. I want a job). So... that all being said. Thanks for the input as usual guys. I have been looking into this myself and am still stumped.
                Two things:

Comment

What Server O/S are you using?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What about

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /q /n “Printer name”
                    Make it into a run-at-logon script?

Quoted from: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...s/prnmngr.mspx

This link was found on the above site in the 'Printer Scripts' section.

Type at comand prompt or batch:

cscript prnmngr.vbs -t -p PrinterName

Parameters

-t : Required. Specifies that you want to set the default printer.

-p PrinterName : Required. Specifies, by name, the printer that you want to set as the default printer.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.
                    ^--Could also try that as a logon batch script
                    Last edited by Managor; 15th October 2010, 21:51.

A+ CE

Comment

Server OS is a mix. All DCs are currently 2003 and there are some 2008 File servers for WDS, SUS etc.

As far as GPO or Login Script I already covered that
                      "The problem as many of you know is that we set a default printer based on which printer is literally closest, in most cases per room (we are a school district so there are LOTS of rooms). Setting by script or GPO would be a complete nightmare that I am not in the least bit willing to dip my little toe into."

Honestly we are talking about 175-200 different scripts/gpos to setup... just for printers. This would be an epic proportined mess.

Thanks for the help on this one guys but I am going to assume that there is no answer for the original question out there. I am under the opinion that if the guys on this board don't know then its not to be had without a BOATLOAD of work, so I am just going to write it off.

Have a great day and thanks again for the help!
                      Two things:

Comment

Can't remember what it is called, but there is a way of targetting printers based on subnet
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

We use a kix script to install and set default printer. We use an ini file with computername1 = printer-x
                          computername2 = printer-y

It works for pc's and server/thin client.
                          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Could you not just create a log on script that assigned the printers via the name of the computers.

I am assuming that your working in a school and trying to setup printing for the Labs, I used to have the same job.

We created a log on script that got the name of the computer, that gave it the location, then the type of user (Student, Teacher, Admin) picked the permissions.

Also, you have not said why you are unable to do this via GPO? Even with nothing setup for it, it would be quicker to set this up via GPO then any other way I can think of. Set a GPO linked to the computer Lab (just create a OU for each lab) that shares all the printers in the area to that computer, then a user level to set permissions to the printer.

Anyhow, I hope one of our ideas helps.

Wofen
                            Good to be back....

Comment

Aha,

Go to figure 5

http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/...references.php

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
                              X