Computer is Responsive but has black screen after startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer is Responsive but has black screen after startup

I am running an hp laptop ze4900 with win xp service pack 3 and just recently had this issue with the screen turning black. The monitor responds in the bios and then goes blank after the win xp logo. The laptop still responds with no freezing, I just have to play around with the mouse and hit exactly in the right spot to get in to the desktop from the login screen. Reason being the laptop still responds because I here windows little jingle when I hit that sweet spot.

If anyone could help in this situation without me having to attempt a reload of the OS great I have files on there and right now dont have funds to buy an adapter to transfer the files to a working computer. The drive is not sata its the 100 pin I think but I may have to take a second look though.

Re: Computer is Responsive but has black screen after startup

Roll back to an earlier Restore Point and see if that helps.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi there,
      As biggles suggested you should try another restore point by going in safe mode. To go in safe mode you need to hit F8 key on BIOS. Check if in safe mode after windows xp logo something comes up.
      If restore point is not an option then try VGA mode option on F8 screen and see if that helps. If this doesn’t work then repairing windows xp via disk.
      Think of any recent changes that you made on your machine like a patch or application after which the issue started. If so, then try uninstalling it. Let us know how this goes for you.

Comment

the laptop will not let me into safe mode and will not let me revert to a workable point in restore. When I do select the option to go into safemode it freezes when loading and is non responsive. I have tried using the winxp os serv pack 3 cd but it requires an admin password even though I did not setup a admin password.

Comment

Working...
        X