Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant reset (deleting) WinXP Admin PW due to chipsets'Intel Robson feature

ahoy guys...
    I'm stumped with a laptop (back then it was very high-end) that has an INTEL ROBSON (DFOROM ROBSON > Enabled in BIOS) NAND-flashmemory onboard, on which the "Petter Nordahl-Hagen password boot disc reset tool" is stuck in the boot sequence (see pic)

The dude whom it belongs to, cant remember the password anymore that was set like 2 years ago - the fingerprint reader broke on the laptop, so he cant login any longer.

Any ideas how to get around this one ?

cheers and thanks for the help in advanced
    Attached Files

Re: cant reset (deleting) WinXP Admin PW due to chipsets'Intel Robson feature

What make / model of laptop is it?
    Can you get into the BIOS and "reset to default"?
    Is there a hardware BIOS reset -- some brands have a jumper if you dismantle half the casing
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it's a Prostar M570RU with 2.4 Ghz dual-core T7700 CPU, 2 GB Ram (i think) and Quadro FX 1600M 3D-accelerator, running WinXP Pro 32bit, bought back in early 2008.

if you mean to reset the BIOS to 'default values', yes, but the Intel Turbo Memory/Robson NAND-Flash Memory by Default active/on. I do can turn it off (Disable) it in the BIOS, but in the BIOS'page's help section it reads, if i do that, that i have to reinstall the whole OS again - which i'm trying to prevent,m since there's some heavy professional software on it, that i do not have for re-installation (i.e. Solidworks 2009).

I've an idea/thought, that i want to bounce off here first: since it's a standard 120 gigs SATA-1 drive, cant i just plug that into a different computer with SATA-controller that does NOT have that feature, and run the NT Password Recovery Boot Disc from the other machine ? Since windows is not actually loaded/booted, it should work, shouldn't it ?

cheers, and thanks in advanced.

Comment

okay, I tried the trick by installing the physical HDD into one of my own laptops (a toshiba satellite A505 6xxx-series) the NT Password Recovery Disc works now, but it reads some "unsupported filesystem flags" so clearing it out doesnt work (it doesnt write them back to the HDD)

booting the WinXP/HDD to SafeMode in my own Toshiba laptop gives me (of course) a STOP 0x0000007b BSoD due to different Mainboard SATA/chipsets.

is there a way to READ the password out of the WinXP registry/password-files via a bootable disc ?

Comment

Working...
        X