Blank Display after Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployed Through WSUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank Display after Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployed Through WSUS

I am deploying SP3 to around 200 workstations and laptops through WSUS. I'm doing them in small groups at our main office before I release them to the rest of the company. (Which includes remote branches) Out of the 33 that have completed the install, 2 have had display problems. They rebooted when they came in the next day, and after the reboot their displays were really messed up. It kind of looked like when you install the OS but are missing the correct display driver, except it was much worse. You couldn't really make out the "Ctrl Alt Delete" screen to log into Windows. A help desk tech worked on both computers, so I am taking his word for it. He said with the first computer he was able to connect through VNC and install a new display driver just fine. With the second computer he wasn't able to connect with VNC for whatever reason, so he physically went to the the PC. The display was so poor that he had to boot into Safe Mode to update the driver.

At first I thought this could have been caused by the computers using a non-compatible or outdated driver, or a driver that wasn't correct for their video card. I don't think either of those is the case though. I checked the documentation, and the driver that was installed supported the video card that they have. I also have several other computers that installed the update with no problems that are the same model, use the same video card, and were on the same driver version as the problem computers. I have extensively searched the web and forums and can't find an answer to my problem. I want to figure out what caused this before I deploy SP3 out to my branches, since the solution might involve booting into Safe Mode.

Details about problem computers:
    Computer 1) Dell Optiplex 755. ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, Driver Version: 8.420.0.0. Dual monitors, both Dell 1908FP.
    Computer 2) Dell Optiplex 745. ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. Driver Version: 8.342.0.0. Dual monitors, both Dell 1907FP.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Note: After speaking with the help desk tech that fixed both computers, I edited my original post. I was originally told by both the users AND the help desk tech that the displays were blank (or black) after the reboot.
    Last edited by SWestfall; 2nd September 2010, 15:39. Reason: Incorrect info

Re: Blank Display after Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployed Through WSUS

Was the tech able to connect using RDP instead of VNC? And a curiosity question, any particular reason why you are using VNC instead of the handy built-in Remote Desktop?

Just Googled your problem and it seems to be a common problem.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

This person found a solution for his problem.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19406564.aspx
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The tech didn't even try. I don't think they use RDP for anything besides servers in this company. I've only been here a little over a month, so I am still figuring out why they do the things they do.

Yah, I've Googled the living crap out of this too. I see plenty of people saying to just replace the driver, but no one that can say why it happened in the first place. You didn't happen so see anything about that, did you?

Comment

No, sorry I didn't see the reason. What you could do it create an MSI package and deploy the new drivers via a GPO. Problem arises if you are unable to sort the different platforms into their own seperate OUs so the wrong driver doesn't get installed.

The link to the fix that I posted was to physically disable the onboard video. I haven't looked up the machine type you listed but did they have an onboard dispaly adapter and have a plugin card added to improve performance? I feel that if the onboard display is causing a problem then it may be worth looking at a BIOS update. The onboard should be disabled when an external card is plugged in. Try flashing the BIOS on 1 PC to see if that helps. Will be a pain if that needs to be done to them all however depending on the M/B, there may be an option whereas this BIOS can be flashed when the O/S is running. If you are lucky enough for that to be the case it may be possible to di it by a GPO. I have never tried it and have only just thought of that idea. (I have an ASUS board that you can flash while XP is running)

This used to be a problem a few years ago when AGP was coming onto the scene. You often had to disable the "PCI" display in the BIOS to get the machine to boot using the AGP card. Had one M/B that required the O/S to be installed, AGP drivers installed and only then could you get the AGP card running the display (after changing the BIOS setting to disable the onboard).

How many machines do you have that you think may be affected by this problem?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I really appreciate your input on this. I have some great news. I deployed SP3 to 30 more computers last night, and one of them broke. The help desk tech mentioned in passing that the user had a vertically oriented monitor. I remembered seeing on a few forums that there was a known issue with SP3 breaking rotated monitors with some ATI video cards. I had dismissed that as a cause because I figured the tech would have mentioned a non-standard setup like that. Lesson learned. I think I will send out a survey to see how many users have a rotated monitor. From there I can decide whether to push out the new video driver through a script & GPO, or whether to have the help desk tech manually do them. (Bwa ha ha!) I'll post my source link and some more info in the hopes that this will help others out there.

More Details:
          All three users had dual monitors with at least one monitor rotated to a vertical orientation. Third problem computer specs:
          3) Dell Optiplex 745. ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. Driver Version: 8.471.0.0.

Symtoms after SP3 install & reboot:
          Terrible display picture. (Very pixelated, colors very off-looking)
          Tech logged into Windows in normal mode> went into Catalyst Control Center> Desktop area: 800 x 600, Color quality: Low (8-bit), Refresh rate: 60 Hz.
          Tried to change resolution and color quality, but it threw back errors. (An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately. Invalid parameter used.)
          Updated driver version to 8.593.0.0 (Driver Date: 3/12/2009)
          Problem solved!

Forum that discusses a similar issue:
          forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=96189

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. Well done.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X