XP Pro will not go online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro will not go online

I just installed windows XP Pro. w/sp2 in a Dell Inspiron B130. The installation went well but
    it will not connect to the internet. After doing some searching on this site, I found out that it might be possible that XP Pro. will not recognize my computers NIC.
    And, after doing some searching in xp on that computer, I noticed that some of the drivers arent being recognized also.
    Is there a fix for something like that or should I just reinstall XP pro?

Re: XP Pro will not go online

From another computer go to Dell's support web site and download the appropriate drivers for the hardware in the Inspiron. Transfer the drivers to the Inspiron via a USB key and install them.

Comment

Just confirm this IS the issue by going into computer management and then device manager -- confirm the NiC is either faulted or not listed, and there are unknown devices.

As Joe has so rightly said, get current drivers from Dell (hope you have another PC to download them). You can search by service tag so unless you have changed any hardware you will get your custom set of drivers.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dell machines usually come with an OS installation disk and a 'Resource CD'. The resource CD contains all the drivers required - NIC, Video, Sound, Intel Chipset etc etc. Do you have the resource CD?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Just as a side note, some Dell systems don't come with OS installation media anymore. New laptop came in yesterday, had to create the media myself w/ their backup tool (DVD or USB stick).
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1. Is this PC a stand alone or domain based?

2. Has the PC been joined to a network prior to the install?

3. Have you renamed the PC with the new install?

Just a note here. You should install SP3 in the first instance then see if the issue persists.

OR

To identify the unknown devices follow steps HERE This will guide you to identifying (accurately) the device and maker and then getting the correct driver.
            The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
            ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think we need some feedback from the OP at this point!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hijack.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	464556

And this is where having a USB NIC comes in handy. If you can connect to Windows Update often the correct driver is detected and installed but I imagine having a USB NIC is not standard equipment for the average user.

If anyone does rush out to get such a useful tool, make sure it has built-in drivers for XP. It is a pain having to find the driver for something that is supposed to make life a bit easier.

Thread now returned back to Ralph. Click image for larger version

Name:	woohoo1.gif
Views:	4
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	464557
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X