X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding workstations

Hi there,

Come through a bit of a sticky one.

Our company has doubled in size and need to get all the infrastructure tidy, before it happens again.

Currently around 120 workstations.

We have a large variation of brands,
    1. dell
    2. hp
    3. siemens-fujitsu
    4. samsung
    5. acer

Some are AMD processors, some are intels.

How would you go about this, the easiest way?

There are so many guides, but not quite right.

Basically, I don't want to end up having many different images, additionally, I don't want to manually do it all.

Let me know your thoughts, please.

And no, we are not upgrading to windows 7.

G.

Re: Rebuilding workstations

You could consider Windows Deployment Services. It will be worth reviewing to see if it suits your current environment.

Comment

Certainly.

We are trying sysprep on a machine, stripping it all out and seeing from there, but it's a bit of a tough one as the machines are OEM's.

Nightmare really.

Thanks again,

G.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      You could consider Windows Deployment Services. It will be worth reviewing to see if it suits your current environment.

Comment

As you say a bit of a tough one!

I was in the same position everal years ago pre WDS. I was using RIS then and the only option was standardisation throughout the entire estate. Not only would you get the benefit of WDS installs being simple but users and the business would also from a support point of view.

You should look at your licensing: possibly MS Volume and or Select
        Client Machines: try and chop this back to two differant makes/models.

Thats in an ideal world where there are no financial contraints and they throw money at the problem.

If I where in your shoes I would possibly look at n Lite or a similar solution
        http://www.nliteos.com/index.html it will allow you to be flexable and remain on OEM licence the down side is its' a seperate image for each dirrerant model of PC

Regards
        Andy
        The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
        ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X