Continuous demands to install KB949810

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous demands to install KB949810

I have XP Pro SP3 and recently have been getting requests to install MS KB949810 "Office Genuine Advantage Notification" update.

Each time I try to install this it fails to install followed by a repeat request to again install it.

I have researched this on Google which has several methods for removing this annoyance . None of them work for me as it would appear I do not have the Registry item "OGAAddin.connect" installed which is , apparently , what causes it on most machines.

Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Re: Continuous demands to install KB949810

If you are in a domain, or have a server available, use WSUS and put yourself in control of the patch distribution

Are you using a VLK copy of office? If not, I believe GA is mandatory
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If you are in a domain, or have a server available, use WSUS and put yourself in control of the patch distribution[QUOTE
      I'm not in a domain, just a single user.

Are you using a VLK copy of office? If not, I believe GA is mandatory
      [/QUOTE]

No my copy is a single user. I also believe that GA is mandatory and I want to install it . The problem I have , as already stated in my post , is that each time I attempt to install it , the installation fails . What I need to know is :-

1. Why it is continuing to fail ?

2. How do I rectify this ?

Comment

What do the event logs / windows install log show?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you tried to install it using the local administrator account?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
            Have you tried to install it using the local administrator account?
            Yes I have . I use this PC at home and I am the sole user. I , therefore , have Administrator rights.

Comment

Having administrative rights does not give you the same rights as when you are logged in with the Administrator account.

Comment

Potentially the administrator account could be disabled if it was installed via sysprep , I know we have to reenable the administrators account when getting machines from Dell cos its disabled.

Might be worth checking that is doesnt need enabling, or ensure that the account being logged into is a member of the local admins group.

Comment

Good point, but if this is the same machine as previously discussed then it is a home PC.

@thenoo

You can access the administrator account by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome screen. Or, if it is a Home edition, you can access it by booting into Safe Mode.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    Good point, but if this is the same machine as previously discussed then it is a home PC.
                    I have always used this PC as a single User. The OS is XP Pro SP3.

You can access the administrator account by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome screen. Or, if it is a Home edition, you can access it by booting into Safe Mode.
                    I had always assumed that I was logging in as Administrator. If I go into C.P>User Accounts there are two Accounts there

1."MyName" wirh a red "x" entitled "Computer Administrator password protected" and
                    2. "Guest Account" which is OFF

The same situation is shown in Safe Mode.

I have removed the Welcome screen and all that shows on boot up is a screen requesting me for my password which is the way I always boot in.

How do I actually access the Administrator Account in order to try fixing this problem , please ?

Comment

Which edition is it - Home or Professional.

If it is Professional, press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and a login screen appaers where you can type the username administrator and a password, if set.

If it is the Home edition, Safe Mode should list the Administrator account on the welcome screen.

Read this article for further assistance:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

Comment

[QUOTE]
                        Which edition is it - Home or Professional
                        Apologies Blood - Its the Professional Version - I thought I'd mentioned that already.

If it is Professional, press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and a login screen appaers where you can type the username administrator and a password, if set.
                        Did that after turning the Welcome Screen back on , then entered password as requested and logged on to what I now presume is the Administrator's account. I then attempted to install KB949810 , once more with the same failed result.
                        On checking the SYSTEM Error Log it now shows the following error from the Windows Update Agent:-

"Installation Failure : Windoes failed to install the following update with eerror 0x8oo70643:Office Genuine Advantage Notification ( KB 949810)"

In the Additional Information Section it also gives the file name "wuavcpl.cpl.mui" version 7.4.7600.226.

Comment

Sorry - you did mention Pro.

Microsoft has this on your problem here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

But, you might want to try installing the latest Windows Installer from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

Then try again before following the steps in the first link.

Comment

Microsoft has this on your problem here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

But, you might want to try installing the latest Windows Installer from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
                            I tried the latest Windows Installer first as you suggested and that got it to install OK this time so I didn't need to use the KB 958052 FIX.

Thanks Blood - yet another of my problems you've solved ! - most appreciated.

Comment

You're very welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X