No announcement yet.

WinXP SP3 Profile/temp internet files folder issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP SP3 Profile/temp internet files folder issue

I am look for some assistents with an issue I am seeing more and more of.

When a user who has not logged into a PC before signs in, windows of course builds their profile, now and again it does not build the profile correctly and sets the temp internet files folder to C:\windows\temp, it when then continue to set all new profiles to the c:\windows\temp location.

I have a script which can be deployed to fix the problem on any PC it is reported on, all this does is correct the following regkey :

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and sets it to : %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

The bigger problem is I have no idea what is causing the problem and it is effecting more and more PCs.

All of the PCs are windows XP service pack 3, happens on random PCs, managers, meeting rooms, no common software or users, even on different sites.

The only common thing I could find was that every PC effected had at least one using with a terminal services profile (not a full roaming profile), However there are working PCs that also have a profile created from someone with a terminal services profile.

Any ideas or help to pin point the underlaying problem would be great.