Cannot get Windows Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get Windows Updates

When I click on custom or express for windows updates I receive error 0x80248007. I did the 3 item it suggested; however I still cannot get the updates. I have Windows XP SP3 with IE7. Any suggestions?

Re: Cannot get Windows Updates

Have you tried the process here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958046
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you. There is one thing I do not totally understand.
      Method 1 for XP says
      1. Start Notepad. To do this, click Start, and then click Run.
      2. Copy and then paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER: notepad
      3. Copy and then paste (or type) the following command lines into the Notepad window: net stop wuauserv
        cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
        ren Download Download.old
        net start wuauserv
      4. On the File menu, click Save As, and then type Rename.bat.
      5. Click Save as type, and then click All Files.
      6. Save the Rename.bat file to your desktop.
      7. Double-click the Rename.bat file to rename the Download folder.
      8. Try to install updates again.
      9. If the issue is resolved, delete the Rename.bat file that you created in the previous steps.
      I amd to #7. What does that mean. Just reopen the Rename.bat file I saved to my desktop and leave it open and try to do updates

Comment

It should close after running, then run Windows Update
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not sure if notepad closed so I did it again. Once I copy/pasted to notepad, changed, changed the save as type, and save to my desktop, notepad did not close it is still open. Should I close notepad then click on the Rename.bat and close again and then try windows update?

Comment

Sorry, I got it figured out and it did not work, so let me proceed to Method 2

Comment

Method 2 did not work either, get the same message when doing windows updates. There are no other methods to follow. Any ideas?

Comment

You may try cleaning up your temp files. I'm not positive it will resolve the issue, but you can try it.

Visit Piriform to download and install Ccleaner.

Once installed you can enable advanced options like Old Prefetch Data, Menu Order Cache, Tray Notification Cache, IIS Log Files, and Hotfix Uninstallers.

This is only a suggestion that you may want to try! You did not specify if you had cleaned up your temporary files or not.

I do Hope it Helps!
                Dell Registered Partner
                Acronis Fulfillment Partner
                Netgear Powershift Partner
                GFi Authorized Reseller
                Check Point Partner

Comment

Originally posted by sheila View Post
                  I amd to #7. What does that mean. Just reopen the Rename.bat file I saved to my desktop and leave it open and try to do updates
                  The file should have the extension ".bat".
                  When you double click on a bat-file it should run and close.
                  If notepad opens instead after you double clicked on the bat-file, then eighter the bat-file association is wrong on the computer or,,, there is a hidden ".txt" extension at the end of the file name (mostlikely the latter is the case).

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks Rem I got that part figured out and i still cannot get updates. I download and installed Malwarebytes in save mode and it found one item and removed it. While in safe mode I also got updates and ran, Spybot, Ad-aware, and AVG Cccleaner but they did not find anything. I tired Windows Update and received the same message.
                    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to solving the problem:
                    Refresh
                    Delete Temporary Folder
                    Close IE and reopen
                    IE(ADD-ons Disabled) mode only prevents the use of ActiveX controls, including those used by Microsoft Update website. To get updates using this browser mode, you need to turn on Automatic Updates on your computer and visit the Microsoft Update website. error number 0x80248007
                    I did what the webpage sage and my IE add-on are enabled.
                    Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                    X